What a load of CRAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't see a big deal out of this, but don't really care either. I bet 95% of the guns are junk or undesireable, it's not like there are a bunch of primo 1911's or other valuables. To consider the other side of things there could be a possible liability in it too. Sheriff Gibson took over as interim Sheriff and has big mess to clean up, and is doing so quickly. I think Sheriff Lester was a good person, very popular in the county, but there was a lot of mishandled things, maybe some unlawful too, Idk. Sheriff Gibson was born and raised in Norman, spent his whole career with Norman PD, highly respected and decorated. He was also the Commander of SWAT and the Disaster Team too, and retired as a Captain. You might not agree with every decision he makes but I'm willing to bet he will do good things for the county.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, Cleveland county. Gibson was born and raised in Norman.

Norman is a college town. College towns attract certain types, and those certain types vote a certain way. Check the geographical voting records of the past decade or so, which show how the majority in certain areas voted.

Gibson is running for election, and he is very aware of his constituency.

Whether or not he is actually anti-gun isn't the issue. His constituency is, and he knows it.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sheriff Gibson says trading or selling confiscated weapons means there is the potential the guns could end up back on the streets.
The word "Potential" is the reason I retired early. In the industrial trades, the "safety" requirements have gone so over the top that you spend more time processing paperwork and permits than you do actually performing your job because there is the "potential" for personal harm and an accident.
I hate to tell them that it is much more dangerous to drive to work than it is to work in an industrial environment. There is the "potential" that you can get hit by space debris, and God forbid you bring that point out to one of the 23 year old college grads that have never had a tool in their hand other than the one between their legs that dictate "safety" or they would require building space junk shields around the entire plant.
That's how stupid it is now.
There is a difference in being safe on the job and taking precautions to stay safe, and what is going on now. Its crazy.

To the potential safety point. The thing that gets me now is the recorded "near miss" safety incidents. A "near miss" incident is one that no unfavorable outcome occurred. BUT, could have occurred and the funny part is they rate how bad the incident COULD have been from 1 to 5. Its to bring awareness, but it also brings exaggeration and focus on things that did not happen.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I saw this on the "news" last night and thought how the hell does someone like this get elected as sheriff in Oklahoma.

Unfortunately the times have changed and this state that I was born and raised in is becoming more and more unrecognizable.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't see a big deal out of this, but don't really care either. I bet 95% of the guns are junk or undesireable, it's not like there are a bunch of primo 1911's or other valuables. To consider the other side of things there could be a possible liability in it too.

First, the desirability of the guns isn't the issue. The previous sheriff was trading confiscated items for equipment his department could use at ZERO cost to the taxpayer.

Second is political, it's nothing more than group think focusing on the tool and not the crime. If a cop gets killed with one of these guns and he leaves behind a wife, is his widow going to get any comfort from the fact that the gun didn't travel through a LE evidence/property room on the way to being legally sold? Would she be better off knowing it was sold legally through the normal process with a NICS check? Oh wait... The point is she isn't gonna care one whit, her husband is just as dead.

Okay, Cleveland county. Gibson was born and raised in Norman.

Norman is a college town. College towns attract certain types, and those certain types vote a certain way. Check the geographical voting records of the past decade or so, which show how the majority in certain areas voted.

Gibson is running for election, and he is very aware of his constituency.

Whether or not he is actually anti-gun isn't the issue. His constituency is, and he knows it.

He's a republican. Must be of the RINO wing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To the potential safety point. The thing that gets me now is the recorded "near miss" safety incidents. A "near miss" incident is one that no unfavorable outcome occurred. BUT, could have occurred and the funny part is they rate how bad the incident COULD have been from 1 to 5. Its to bring awareness, but it also brings exaggeration and focus on things that did not happen.

Oh yeah forgot about the near misses. It got so stupid that near misses were being recorded when employees were walking across the road and a vehicle would drive by, which begat another stupid rule.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way I see it, with these guns being sold(or traded) to(with) a retailer means the people who buy these guns will go through a background check before being allowed to purchase. I see no problem with trading off or selling these guns to a retailer. Those guns stand no greater threat of ending up "on the street" than any other gun. If Gibson is so worried about the guns ending up in the wrong hands, maybe the criminals with those hands ought to be kept locked up.

Woody

Okiedog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh yeah forgot about the near misses. It got so stupid that near misses were being recorded when employees were walking across the road and a vehicle would drive by, which begat another stupid rule.

Then if you report too many near misses you get dinged for not recognizing the potential for near misses. Yep! Near misses, potential hazards, Authorization to Work Forms. BTDT Doesn't leave a lot of time to get the job done. Damn glad I don't have to put up with that crap anymore.

Saw that sheriff on tv last night. Thought what a dud.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This subject has me wondering, what do the other 76 counties do with seized firearms? What do local PD's do with them, or state level law enforcement agencies. What do the others states, counties in those states etc do? I've never been to a sheriff sale, or any other type of county, state or law enforcement auction/sale, are firearms usually included at these?

Latest posts

Top Bottom