What a load of CRAP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then if you report too many near misses you get dinged for not recognizing the potential for near misses. Yep! Near misses, potential hazards, Authorization to Work Forms. BTDT Doesn't leave a lot of time to get the job done. Damn glad I don't have to put up with that crap anymore.
Stupid isn't it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This subject has me wondering, what do the other 76 counties do with seized firearms? What do local PD's do with them, or state level law enforcement agencies. What do the others states, counties in those states etc do? I've never been to a sheriff sale, or any other type of county, state or law enforcement auction/sale, are firearms usually included at these?

http://www.news9.com/story/23887989/news-9-looks-into-what-happens-to-guns-seized-by-oklahoma-police

From the article:
Every gun we get, if we destroyed them, you are going to have a manufacturer out there that is going to make them or replace them." said Porter. "The way that we look at it right now is we are selling these guns to a dealer that deals with these guns and sells guns constantly, They have to follow the laws given to them, and as long as they follow the laws, and the guns sold correctly, we don't see an issue on that."

At least someone still has functioning brain cells. That's good to know.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know anything about the "politics" component of the thread but I know the guy who wound up with the guns. He is a stand up guy and they will be sold with a 4473, so they have no more propensity of winding up on the street than a gun bought at Wal-Mart. Like every other property room, there were some good guns and there was some garbage. The agency where I live melts down EVERYTHING, which is a tragedy based on some of the stuff they wind up with. .

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Sheriff Gibson says trading or selling confiscated weapons means there is the potential the guns could end up back on the streets.
The word "Potential" is the reason I retired early. In the industrial trades, the "safety" requirements have gone so over the top that you spend more time processing paperwork and permits than you do actually performing your job because there is the "potential" for personal harm and an accident.
I hate to tell them that it is much more dangerous to drive to work than it is to work in an industrial environment. There is the "potential" that you can get hit by space debris, and God forbid you bring that point out to one of the 23 year old college grads that have never had a tool in their hand other than the one between their legs that dictate "safety" or they would require building space junk shields around the entire plant.
That's how stupid it is now.
There is a difference in being safe on the job and taking precautions to stay safe, and what is going on now. Its crazy.

Dennis it goes back to large company's being top heavy. To many college educated idiots setting knee jerk standards in areas they have never worked in. I was in one of our rented warehouses using a snorkle lift to change a light bulb and had a pimple faced little prick come out and start screaming at me about a safety harness. The look on his face when I asked him why his people on the mezzanine did not have safety harnesses, as they both have a 36 inch handrail. He started blathering on about OSHA regs and then got his feelings hurt again when I told him I have been dealing with OSHA since before he was born. Then I told him he should prolly read and understand the OSHA regs before he starts quoting crap someone else told him LOL.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's also a good management of resources to trade property guns which have a substantial value for something an agency can use.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's also a good management of resources to trade property guns which have a substantial value for something an agency can use.

I remember reading in a gun magazine (so it must be true) about a police department years ago (like 1960s or 70s) that somehow wound up with a Model 1895 Winchester lever action.
The chief or somebody decided the department needed a sniper rifle, so they were going to get a gunsmith to drill and tap the old gun for some kind of offset scope mount. (The model 1895 loads through the top of the action.)
Fortunately cooler heads prevailed and they sold the antique Winchester in original condition for more than the cost of a new bolt action rifle with scope.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis it goes back to large company's being top heavy. To many college educated idiots setting knee jerk standards in areas they have never worked in. I was in one of our rented warehouses using a snorkle lift to change a light bulb and had a pimple faced little prick come out and start screaming at me about a safety harness. The look on his face when I asked him why his people on the mezzanine did not have safety harnesses, as they both have a 36 inch handrail. He started blathering on about OSHA regs and then got his feelings hurt again when I told him I have been dealing with OSHA since before he was born. Then I told him he should prolly read and understand the OSHA regs before he starts quoting crap someone else told him LOL.
Sadly, I had the same issue. Had to wear a harness with a lanyard attached to a safety rail over the scaffold that was 8' off the grating. I marched the "safety expert" to the site as well as my supervisor and asked WTF was the difference of the scaffold railing and the railing over the grating with the floor below it over 100', both over 36" with toe boards, etc.
I got the "potential" of an accident for an answer and a promise to write me up if I didn't follow instructions for the scaffolding.
My compromise "potential" argument of 1100 degree steam at over 3000 psi, on the other side of that wall coming out at me through a void in the steel, was met with a blank face, or the "potential" of the whole damned unit coming down on top of us.
Where in the hell does "potential" stop?

Latest posts

Top Bottom