What am I doing wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SMKs work well in 1-7 twists for me. Sierra says on their box that they work in 1-7 to 1-10 twists and I have done well with them even in a SBR.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The SMKs work well in 1-7 twists for me. Sierra says on their box that they work in 1-7 to 1-10 twists and I have done well with them even in a SBR.

UMB said he used them in his hand loads for his suppressed Mk18 to hit the steel torso at 500yds during the run and gun this past weekend; 5 shots to get the 3 hits after dialing in 94" of elevation.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
UMB said he used them in his hand loads for his suppressed Mk18 to hit the steel torso at 500yds during the run and gun this past weekend; 5 shots to get the 3 hits after dialing in 94" of elevation.

Correction, 5 shots and I got 4 hits. follow up on the last shot was on its way before the sound of the gong was heard at the firing line for the third hit. just sayin. lol

I was going to post something in this thread about that load but deleted it before posting. I tried a bunch of different weights and powders and primers before I stumbled across it on another forum. Every 1-7 twist AR I have shot it out of, from 10.3 inches to 16 has grouped exceptionally well. Like has been mentioned, you will have to experiment and test to find what load works best for your rifle. The nice thing about this round is it groups well (1.5" @ 100 yards) and the bullet seems to settle down out beyond 200 yards or so. Without magnification, using a 2moa red dot and while doing my part on the trigger; hitting 10 inch plates at 500 is almost a given. Torso shots are almost like cheating. That is with the 10.3 inch. It shoots even better with a longer barrel, assuming it is a quality barrel.
The important thing is to change only one variable at a time when you work up loads. Some variables will give bigger changes than others, so I start with the large differences first. For me, that is almost always bullet weight, followed by powder, then primers, with brass being dead last. I am not a bench rest shooter, so ymmv.

Right now I have switched to Nosler Custom Comp 77 gr bullets. They are cheaper and seem to shoot as well as the SMK 77's.
If you want to give this load a try, it is within saami specs...

Any good brass, full length resized, trimmed to 1.75". I never sort my brass except by once fired and all the rest. I guess separating by weight, manufacturer, blah blah blah, may make a difference but like I said, I am not a high power or bench rest competitor.

21.6 H322

Wolf SRM or Tula KVB223 primers. Trust me, I have tried a bunch, from CCI #41 to to bench rest primers. The Wolf have been the most consistent with the smallest spread.

Nosler CC or SMK in 77gr

OAL of 2.25 with a light crimp with a Lee factory crimp die.

The real nice thing about these are the price and precision. Nothing factory has even come close for me. For about 30c a round I get awesome ammo at a price I can train with in bulk.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Correction, 5 shots and I got 4 hits. follow up on the last shot was on its way before the sound of the gong was heard at the firing line for the third hit. just sayin. lol

I was going to post something in this thread about that load but deleted it before posting. I tried a bunch of different weights and powders and primers before I stumbled across it on another forum. Every 1-7 twist AR I have shot it out of, from 10.3 inches to 16 has grouped exceptionally well. Like has been mentioned, you will have to experiment and test to find what load works best for your rifle. The nice thing about this round is it groups well (1.5" @ 100 yards) and the bullet seems to settle down out beyond 200 yards or so. Without magnification, using a 2moa red dot and while doing my part on the trigger; hitting 10 inch plates at 500 is almost a given. Torso shots are almost like cheating. That is with the 10.3 inch. It shoots even better with a longer barrel, assuming it is a quality barrel.
The important thing is to change only one variable at a time when you work up loads. Some variables will give bigger changes than others, so I start with the large differences first. For me, that is almost always bullet weight, followed by powder, then primers, with brass being dead last. I am not a bench rest shooter, so ymmv.

Right now I have switched to Nosler Custom Comp 77 gr bullets. They are cheaper and seem to shoot as well as the SMK 77's.
If you want to give this load a try, it is within saami specs...

Any good brass, full length resized, trimmed to 1.75". I never sort my brass except by once fired and all the rest. I guess separating by weight, manufacturer, blah blah blah, may make a difference but like I said, I am not a high power or bench rest competitor.

21.6 H322

Wolf SRM or Tula KVB223 primers. Trust me, I have tried a bunch, from CCI #41 to to bench rest primers. The Wolf have been the most consistent with the smallest spread.

Nosler CC or SMK in 77gr

OAL of 2.25 with a light crimp with a Lee factory crimp die.

The real nice thing about these are the price and precision. Nothing factory has even come close for me. For about 30c a round I get awesome ammo at a price I can train with in bulk.

Good advice. I will make the first change to the 77 grain smk' and see how the h335 does....I may take your load data on my next go if the bullet weight isn't enough . Now I need to find me a chronograph. Good thing there is a thread about which one to get, I believe

Latest posts

Top Bottom