What are the chances this ad is real?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well somebody decided it was worth the chance. It's marked sold now.

I'm not familiar with the Staccato, but it looks remarkably like my Para Ordnance Recon 9. Is there a significant difference between the two.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Total scam. First, it's an NR profile...huge red flag. Second, look at the guns being offered. Very sought after. Third, the opening bid price is only $100 away from the Buy It Now price, which is waay too low anyway. When you search the first line or two of the item description, you will find the listing was stolen from a listing from Polk County, GA. The scammer changed just a few words. The pictures are identical, but the scammer has less of them in his listing. The scammer is only trying to mug you for $1,100 on the Ruger 77; the actual owner of the gun in Georgia is looking for $1,350. Lastly, if you hit the 'Buy It Now' button, you will immediately receive a call from an illiterate foreigner who will demand electronic payment. If you are stupid enough to do that, you'll see the same gun pop up again on GunBroker, over and over until someone smokes thier feedback and they just move on to another fake profile and start all over. The pet guns they scam are Marlin 1895, Stacattos, Pythons, DDM4s, H&K SP5,...pretty much any highly sought after gun, and always about 1/2 price. If it seems too good to be true, it absolutely is too good to be true on GunBroker.

Here's the real listing: North West GA - FS Ruger 77 Mark II RL (Ultralight)
Damn…. You found that quick! I’m impressed, seriously! Usually I can find things like that but didn’t on this one. I even did that same type of search with the staccato ad, their user name, etc and couldn’t find anything using the text or reserve image search but didn’t think about doing the Ruger. I suppose that settles that. It looks like someone did “buy” the Staccato, that sucks for them :/

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well somebody decided it was worth the chance. It's marked sold now.

I'm not familiar with the Staccato, but it looks remarkably like my Para Ordnance Recon 9. Is there a significant difference between the two.
Yeah… figures, it heavily appears to be a scam after all as well. I feel for them!

The Staccato is a 2011, so it’s very similar to yours, just an “updated” version of a 9mm 1911. These are hand fitted and have a fancy upgraded recoil system along with a crowned bull barrel so they command a lot. Right now they have a several month lead time as well so demand is super hot.

I actually have a Staccato P, similar to the one in the ad, mine just doesn’t have the slide cut. I’ve been thinking about having it milled but for the price of that and an RMR, I just can’t bring myself to do it. This one appeared to be so cheap I would’ve just sold mine for a similar price and called it a day. But.. very glad I didn’t! I suppose if it’s too good to be true, it really is.

Attachments

• IMG_6122.jpeg
    IMG_6122.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 0

g54b16psi

Marksman
Reaction score
Damn…. You found that quick! I’m impressed, seriously! Usually I can find things like that but didn’t on this one. I even did that same type of search with the staccato ad, their user name, etc and couldn’t find anything using the text or reserve image search but didn’t think about doing the Ruger. I suppose that settles that. It looks like someone did “buy” the Staccato, that sucks for them :/
I'm a former Army intel analyst. The Stacatto has already been relisted to scam someone else with and the scammer has no negative feedback yet. Oftentimes they will block the victim so they can't smoke their feedback. The best way to be safe on GunBroker is mainly to trust your gut. A $900 M1 Garand (they're so stupid, I've even seen them list a WWII battle rifle as 'New Old Stock')? A brand new $8,000 Barrett M107A1? C'mon!! Secondly, look at the profile of the seller...how long has it been around (a day, two days?). Sometime they hijack a profile that has been dormant for a very long time with no feedback posted for over a decade, then all of a sudden the seller rises from the dead and has a Stacatto, a Marlin 1895 and a gold tiger stripe Deagle all listed at half price. Yeah. Another good thing to do is at the top of the page of whatever you're looking at on GB, there is the search bar. On the right side it says 'Advanced'. Click on that and scroll down to where you can enter the sellers screen name and search for completed items. That will instantly tell you what's up, as you'll see the same gun has been sold 5 times in the last two days, etc. Sometimes the scammer hijacks an established FFL...don't assume it's legit just because it's an FFL seller. Use the same few due dilligence checks on these sellers, too. Another trick is to look at the way the pictures of the various guns they are listing look. By this I mean the 'style' of the pictures, the backgrounds, etc. Compare the item description, too. Often one description will be written in a completely style than another gun they are scamming. Note: They also scam other things frequently, like expensive optics, thermal scopes, binos. The bottom line is, don't pay the illiterate guy that called you 3 minutes after the auction ended over the phone with any kind of electronic payment or wire services. Immediately smoke their feedback and you might save someone else from becoming a victim. In fact, GunBroker gives you several days to pay for an item...wait a few days and I'll bet you you'll find that seller quickly racks up a bunch of F feedback and will become 'NLARU' under their name (No Longer A Registered User). If you have a few minutes, search GunBroker right now for either a Marlin 1895 or an M1 Garand and you'll find MANY active scammer listings. Be vigilant, OSA! Have a great Labor Day weekend.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...he has to sell his gun and split the $ with the ex and doesn’t want to give her much.
A buddy of mine did just that,,,
The divorce court ordered him to sell everything and split with his wife.

He sold a nice 3-BR mobile for $5.00,,,
Sold a 2 year old Chevy pickup truck for the same amount,,,
His ex tried to fight it but the ruling specified no suggested/minimum prices.

Actually, I was surprised that he got away with it.

Aarond

Latest posts

Top Bottom