What are the pros and cons of having an out of state CCW license?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of living in OK and having an out of state CCW license?

Is it a problem to have an out of state license like an Arizona permit and use it in Oklahoma?

It is cheaper, but would it be frowned upon by Oklahoma authorities?

Should I get an Oklahoma CCW also?

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the out-of-state license is a non-resident license, probably not a problem outside of confusion and need for clarification. However, once you are a resident of another state, your previous state's resident licenses must be replaced. The driver's license and concealed carry permit are just examples of ones that most people would need to deal with but you may have other licenses like occupational licenses that require replacement under the same concept of a change of residence requires a change of licenses.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm carrying on a Pennsylvania non-res permit right now because I haven't gotten around to taking the class. Had an Ohio resident permit, but once I took up residence here, it expired. Haven't had need to show my permit yet, fortunately.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a utah non resident permit and amongst the LE that i have came into "official" contact with not a one had ever heard of it. They ask "Well why do you have a utah permit and not Oklahoma"? I have a few coroworkers and some people on here have the same permit.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a utah non resident permit and amongst the LE that i have came into "official" contact with not a one had ever heard of it. They ask "Well why do you have a utah permit and not Oklahoma"? I have a few coroworkers and some people on here have the same permit.

Utah has only ONE class of permit, which is simply a UT Concealed Firearm Permit. Utah DOES permit a non-Utah resident to hold one of it's permits. The individual's state of residence situation determines if the person is a resident of the state of Utah or some other state.

In Oklahoma, there is no validity problem with an OK resident carrying on a UT permit. First, OK recognizes all valid permits per OK Statutes. Second, UT allows its permit to be valid when held by someone who is not a resident of UT.

UT has made some changes regarding its carry permit. The following is copied from the appropriate website: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/documents/BCINewsletterApril2011.pdf

On May 10, 2011 several new laws will go into effect regarding concealed firearm permits, fees and concealed firearm instructors. The corresponding bills include: 1st Substitute S.B. 36, H.B. 214 and 1st Substitute H.B. 257.
One major change in the new law is regarding some non-resident applicants for the Utah concealed firearm permit. If a non-resident applicant is from a state that either has a formal reciprocity agreement with Utah or recognizes the Utah concealed firearm permit, the applicant must hold and provide proof of a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the applicant’s state of residency upon application for the Utah concealed firearm permit. This change will not affect those applicants who reside in a state that does not have formal reciprocity or recognition with Utah, i.e. California, New York, Kansas, etc. Renewal applications will be under this new requirement starting January 1, 2012.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However, once you are a resident of another state, your previous state's resident licenses must be replaced. The driver's license and concealed carry permit are just examples of ones that most people would need to deal with

Regarding the Concealed Carry permit, there is no limit to the numbers of states' permits you may have at one time. When you leave a state, whether that permit remains valid is strictly up to the issuing state.
At the moment, I have FOUR valid CHLs from 4 different states. If I move out of OK, I am required to turn in the OK permit, but am legal with the other 3. Texans who move out of TX are allowed to keep their CHLs as long as they wish, as is the case with many other states.

Oklahomans seem to be the least aware of how different the laws are in other states regarding gun laws and CHLs, of any state I travel in, perhaps because the OK CHL class is devoid of information in that regard.

CodyC99

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like I will get an OK permit and have both.

Thanks

Why? If your Arizona permit is still valid your fine.

§21-1290.26. Reciprocal agreement authority.

RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. Any person who is twenty-one (21) years of age or older having a valid firearm license from another state may apply for a concealed handgun license in this state immediately upon establishing a residence in this state.

1911user

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The best reason not to have an OK CC permit is you will lose it if you move out of the state.

I have a Utah permit that was renewed last year so I'm good for another 4 years. For the surrounding area, you would not be able to carry in KS, CO, and NM on a non-resident permit, I think. However, you'd be fine with a resident (OK) permit in those states. I don't travel much so that's not an issue.

With the Utah rule changes last year, the Arizona or Florida permit is probably the best non-resident to use in OK.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will keep the AZ permit for sure, I do travel north a lot, so would like to have KS included.

Also I asked an Officer about it, and was told that they could decide to question my AZ permit and make me prove that it is good here. If I had the OK permit, there would be no question about it. I would rather not ruffle any feathers.

Latest posts

Top Bottom