What are the pros and cons of having an out of state CCW license?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
then print and carry this:

TITLE 21 § 1290.26 RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state.
Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I know this answer but.....

If I am coming to OK from Hawaii, but carry a Texas DL and a UTAW CHP, along with an active duty military ID am I good? Should I go ahead and get an OK permit to add to the collection (and since wife will have to take it because I did not read OK law to cover dependents).

Would it present less confusion if I had OK CCW and DL presented if stopped.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I know this answer but.....

If I am coming to OK from Hawaii, but carry a Texas DL and a UTAW CHP, along with an active duty military ID am I good? Should I go ahead and get an OK permit to add to the collection (and since wife will have to take it because I did not read OK law to cover dependents).

Would it present less confusion if I had OK CCW and DL presented if stopped.

What you need to carry with you in your wallet is a copy of the PCS orders assigning you to OK. That makes all the multi-state licenses good here without issue. OK LEO that I know are familiar with the laws on PCS military, but I can't guarantee that a guy doing his first day on the job may be a little confused and need to contact his supervisor about your driver's license.

When I was active duty in IL, it took one Wildlife Officer nearly an hour on the radio to sort out that I was PCS to the Univ of IL, had IL plates on the car, a KY driver's license, and my fishing boat had KY registration, with no license plates on the boat trailer. Had an IL resident fishing license.
What he had the most trouble sorting out was IL required plates on a boat trailer, but it was legal without them because the boat was registered in KY, which does not license boat trailers, and I was legally a resident of both states while on active duty.

For your wife, OK recognizes ANY CHL issued by a state, as long as the issuing state considers it valid. She is good to go with TX, FL, AZ, or several others. States like OK, KY, KN, and others require the CHL to be turned in when you are no longer a resident of that state.
The driver's license is another issue; contact a tag office.

Your problem with UT is going to come when you renew. Both TX annd OK are reciprocal with UT, so you need to have a home-state CHL to renew UT. See Buzzdraw's post, above. Personally, if TX is your home of record, I'd suggest the TX CHL, which remains valid as you move around. OK is good only while you're resident here.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom