what are you enjoying tonight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I'd pay $240 for it. The one you saw was the 20-yr or 21-yr, I forget, it was laid up at the same time, in 1993. The ones I have were bottled in 2005-2006, and it sold out years ago. I managed to find 3 cases for sale when I was out of the country on vacation, so I'm just bringing it in a little at a time, couple bottles per suitcase when I visit or when friends come up.

The 20-yr would be the same batch, but theoretically should be better. I love the 1993 Portwood. Slightly richer and fruitier than the Doublewood, more bodied, not harsh at all. Not as caramel in taste or color, a very little darker plum color than the Doublewood.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I have a question.
I've had scotch one time while in the army, and was given a small bottle of Cutty Sark as a going away gift from some friends which I still have today. I classified it as carbonated bourbon tasting, and have never tried it since. The bottle is still in the cabinet I think unless one of the kids robbed it during a party. lol.
On the other hand, when my dad passed 15 or so years ago, I got a bottle of Chivas Regal 1801 Blended Scotch Whisky that was 12 years old at bottling.
I know it doesn't age in the bottle. But is this worth tasting as I may not like it, or find a fresh smaller bottle at the store to give it a try?
My tastes in red liquor have matured over the years and something new isn't out of the question.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is it opened? If not, I would not open it, but there are several varieties of that, honestly. It will evaporate some in the bottle and become slightly more concentrated. With the potential worth of it (if unopened) and the legacy factor, I would just spend $50 and buy a nice bottle of something else to try. Cutty isn't great and it isn't horrible, either, but there is much much better out there.

<edit> Come over to B'ville this spring and I'll get a bottle of something nice, I'll Traeger some ribs and pulled pork and we'll make a night of it! :D And bring the wife, mine will get tired of hearing about guns all night! lol

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Dennis...

Hang on to your unopened, older liquor. It might be worth some money believe it or not.

I've used these guys looking for older or "exported" (not in American markets) American liquor. Only if you want, call them and describe what you have, they buy and sell, they have great customer service. **Again** I like to use this website as a reference along with a few others.

One I have dealt with: Masters of Malt
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/chivas-regal-12-year-old-1980-whisky/?srh=1

Another I use looking for older bottles of whiskey and bourbon: The Whisky Exchange
https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/search?q=chivas regal&status=yes#productlist-filter

Believe it or not....I've seen jack Daniel's Black Label #7, at 90 proof( when they started making it until sometime in the 80's) go for $100 or more. Unopened with the seals intact. Then Jack dropped the proof to 86 and now to 80....what a shame.

www.whiskyantique.com_media_prodotti__18027_img_2D_0005.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is it opened? If not, I would not open it, but there are several varieties of that, honestly. It will evaporate some in the bottle and become slightly more concentrated. With the potential worth of it (if unopened) and the legacy factor, I would just spend $50 and buy a nice bottle of something else to try. Cutty isn't great and it isn't horrible, either, but there is much much better out there.

<edit> Come over to B'ville this spring and I'll get a bottle of something nice, I'll Traeger some ribs and pulled pork and we'll make a night of it! :D And bring the wife, mine will get tired of hearing about guns all night! lol

Might take you up on that. We take the RV to Copan lake on occasion, just North of B’ville.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I have a question.
I've had scotch one time while in the army, and was given a small bottle of Cutty Sark as a going away gift from some friends which I still have today. I classified it as carbonated bourbon tasting, and have never tried it since. The bottle is still in the cabinet I think unless one of the kids robbed it during a party. lol.
On the other hand, when my dad passed 15 or so years ago, I got a bottle of Chivas Regal 1801 Blended Scotch Whisky that was 12 years old at bottling.
I know it doesn't age in the bottle. But is this worth tasting as I may not like it, or find a fresh smaller bottle at the store to give it a try?
My tastes in red liquor have matured over the years and something new isn't out of the question.

Whisky DOES oxidize. It takes a long time, but it does oxidize. You're right about it not aging in a bottle. Once it's open, you'd better drink it lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom