what are you enjoying tonight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Never tried scotch per say thought about it from time to time but where would a newbie start?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've tried scotch a couple of times, but I just don't have a taste for it. I'll have to stick to bourbon and beer. That doesn't mean that I'll ever get rid of the bottle of scotch that my brother brought back from Scotland for me. [emoji16]

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Never tried scotch per say thought about it from time to time but where would a newbie start?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
There is a Scotch blend called Monkey Shoulder that is highly recommended for a first bottle.

I haven't tried it yet but just about everyone else on a whisk(e)y forum I follow has.

7b7a89ec2e78786fe738f301d944fc22.jpg

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a Scotch blend called Monkey Shoulder that is highly recommended for a first bottle.

I haven't tried it yet but just about everyone else on a whisk(e)y forum I follow has.

7b7a89ec2e78786fe738f301d944fc22.jpg

Monkey Shoulder is actually pretty good for a blended. It's not smoky at all to me, maybe just a tiny tiny bit. It's a little on the sweet side, miderately smooth, but not as much as some of the single malt sherry-finished ones I prefer. It's actually a blend of The Balvenie (I think the Doublewood 12y, which is my favorite everyday kind of single malt), Glenfiddich and Kininvie. It's relatively inexpensive, as well, for a decent Scotch - I've bought 2 or 3 bottles in the last couple weeks, I want to say I paid around $34 or $36 in Tulsa at one of the cheaper places.

I would recommend the higher-end sweeter finishes to start. The smokier and cheaper stuff is going to be harsher on the palate, I think. Something like Glenmorangie Lasanta ($45-50) is a sherry-finish that is damn good, as is Macallan 12y (or 10y?), I believe - not cheap, $65-75. My favorite is The Balvenie Doublewood 12y - about $50-60.

When I started with Scotch many years ago, I started with J&B or Dewar's with 7-Up. Eventually moved to Chivas, also mixed with 7-Up. Then with a good friend who was a longtime Scotch man, I moved on to Cutty Sark on the rocks, and as my palate matured and I developed more of a taste for it, I started drinking it neat and was able to afford better stuff - progressed to Glenlivet neat and then found my stride with the sherry-finished single malts above. I've tried dozens and dozens over the years and always come back mostly to Lasanta and Doublewood, and occasionally if I'm feeling special, the Macallan. The most I've spent was around $200 on the Glenmorangie Signet, which was good, but not worth 3-4x what I was used to paying. Glenmorangie Extremely Rare is nearly as good for about $80 or so.

I should keep written notes on these things, I've forgotten so many good ones over the years...

Cohiba

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad you guys like Scotch.....yuck, yuck,yuck, for me.

I guess the only "Scotch" I can handle is;

1. Blend...Johnny Walker

2. Single(?)..Aberfeldy.... I think it was a 12 year old. It had a fruity/smoothness to it.

I'll stick with my American Bourbon and Whiskey.

Anyone try Japanese Scotch/Whiskey??

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Glad you guys like Scotch.....yuck, yuck,yuck, for me.

I guess the only "Scotch" I can handle is;

1. Blend...Johnny Walker

2. Single(?)..Aberfeldy.... I think it was a 12 year old. It had a fruity/smoothness to it.

I'll stick with my American Bourbon and Whiskey.

Anyone try Japanese Scotch/Whiskey??
I haven't bought any Scotch yet. I'm slowly working my way through the affordable bourbons.

At some point I will venture into the Scotch, Irish, and Japanese whiskies.

There are also some American single malts that sound interesting.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All of the Islays are going to give you some smoke, to some amount or other. At least in my experience. Bowmore is very good, Auchentoshen has slightly more bite - I've been to the distillery for these and took the tour - incredible! Lagavulin and Laphroig are both pretty smoky, I'm not a fan of the smoke, either.

I like the Highland malts for the most part. I'm really a fan of sherry-finished single malts. Port finishes are great, as well. Last night I ended up having a few glasses of my precious Balvenie Portwood - but only because I should have 4 more bottles from my stash in the islands delivered sometime in the next week or so.
:drunk5:

I saw some of of balvenie portwood today, it wasn't the 1993, but I was curious as to the taste, the bottle I saw was $240. Is it worth the money?

Latest posts

Top Bottom