What Can Be Done To Curb The Wild Hog Population?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow... this bill is a huge win if it passes.

"Any person who removes or attempts to remove feral swine pursuant to this section may use a motor-driven land conveyance to pursue or follow feral swine, may use a vehicle-mounted spotlight or other powerful light also known as a headlight and may use night-vision equipment that uses either image-enhancement technology or thermal-imaging technology."

And you only have to notify the game warden during deer gun season. Notification can be in writing, phone message, email or text.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of what? I had a farm equipment mechanic/welding repair shop for years, and got complaints about feral hogs from farm customers on Texas land.

Also had 228 acres (along with 300+ acres of leased pasture) and raised cattle and hogs back in the '80s and '90s. Feral hogs weren't a problem here at that time, I actually only saw one.

What's your point?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No (as mentioned in my last post), not first hand. Never built an airplane either, but I know what makes one fly.

I also know, with practically no restrictions, landowners will be able to kill more hogs.

Or do you think not being able to spotlight or use night vision aids are good things for the feral hog problem?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It will allow land owners and lessees (and anyone they give permission) to kill 'em practically unrestricted day and night, which should at least reduce numbers in their immediate area. :confused:

This sounds good in theory, but I've got news for you. Texas has never had ANY restrictions on hunting hogs, and the problem has gotten progressively worse.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This sounds good in theory, but I've got news for you. Texas has never had ANY restrictions on hunting hogs, and the problem has gotten progressively worse.
I don't doubt it at all, but imagine how much worse it would be with restrictions. ;)

They're kinda like rats. Probably never be extinct, but every tool available helps keep the numbers down in your area.

Latest posts

Top Bottom