What carry knives are you in love with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't, but that's me. I personally strip coatings off of blades/lock-bars and clips because Satin won't show the wear as badly as coated metal does. I've stripped, polished and stone-washed a few pocket-clips after having them a while because I just personally like the look. I like my carbon-steel blades to have a coating so I don't have to worry about rust as much, but other than that - its just for looks (and if you use the knife, the looks will go quickly).

FRN and G10 hold up well (their color goes all the way through them), but keep in mind that even if you RIT Dye them, it only penetrates to a very shallow depth into the material. They will eventually wear and the true color will show through.

If you use your knives for food-prep, you'll find that citric acids and various other food-related liquids will do funny things to coatings (and carbon steel to be honest). If you want a pretty user, then get an all satin blade/hardware model with an FRN or G10 handle of your choice and yank the hardware off and have it stone-washed. The scratches won't show up as badly and the pretty parts (the FRN/G10) are almost indestructible.

Hmmm, maybe I'll just dedicate one of the four to carry/defense/light-use tasks and duracoat just that one so it can stay prettier :D

dvPete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread needs to STOP! I've already bought 2 knives just from looking at it. And I'm not a knife guy.

Glad I have dealer pricing to save me a coupla bucks, but still...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hmmm, maybe I'll just dedicate one of the four to carry/defense/light-use tasks and duracoat just that one so it can stay prettier :D

If you want them to stay pretty, you can't use 'em :)

I've gotten rid of all my non-users and pretty much carry everything I have (other than my Tim Galyean Pro Series JYD - and I can't make myself sell that one, but I only carry it to church or in nice slacks).

Nothing wrong with collecting, but it just wasn't my thing. I'm waiting on the Spyderco Techno to come out, and in the meantime I'm toying with the though of picking up a Dialex Junior (plus, I sort of miss my old Perrin PPT), but other than that... I'm pretty much not looking for anything else out there right now.

I've got a Lime Green Benchmade mini-griptilian coming in for my daughter tomorrow - she'll love it, and I've started a collection for my two sons, but I pretty much wait for holidays to hand those out.

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want them to stay pretty, you can't use 'em :)

I've gotten rid of all my non-users and pretty much carry everything I have (other than my Tim Galyean Pro Series JYD - and I can't make myself sell that one, but I only carry it to church or in nice slacks).

Nothing wrong with collecting, but it just wasn't my thing. I'm waiting on the Spyderco Techno to come out, and in the meantime I'm toying with the though of picking up a Dialex Junior (plus, I sort of miss my old Perrin PPT), but other than that... I'm pretty much not looking for anything else out there right now.

I'm torn. The other thing about Duracoat is... it'll cost me like $5 in product to do it, since I already have all the airbrushing stuff. So I can always respray it anytime it gets majorly roughed up - though I may choose not to, may end up being proud of the wear :D We'll see.. I'm a little undecided still.

dvPete

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dealer pricing?! Jealous again. Do tell... which did you get?

Well, 'dealer pricing' may seem a little strong - my distributors have most of these knives in stock. Pricing is slightly better than Amazon or some other online sites I've seen. Like I said, a few dollars here and there. I'm happy to order knives for anyone who wants them, but by the time I add sales tax, price will be about the same as online sites. Who knows, though, maybe I'll start stocking some of these.

I was ordering some other stuff this morning anyway, so I threw in a Leatherman Skeletool, and a Spyderco Tenacious G10. It just made sense!

I'm getting a little scared that these may not be enough to satisfy, though.

Must...excercise...self-control...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm torn. The other thing about Duracoat is... it'll cost me like $5 in product to do it, since I already have all the airbrushing stuff. So I can always respray it anytime it gets majorly roughed up - though I may choose not to, may end up being proud of the wear :D We'll see.. I'm a little undecided still.

Man, if you want to try it out, I say do it. Don't let anyone (including me) tell you what you'll like aesthetically. With Duracoat, the worst-case scenario is that you have to take it back off. But don't let Nut-N-Fancy talk you into doing something that basically just looks cool to him either :)

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man, if you want to try it out, I say do it. Don't let anyone (including me) tell you what you'll like aesthetically. With Duracoat, the worst-case scenario is that you have to take it back off. But don't let Nut-N-Fancy talk you into doing something that basically just looks cool to him either :)

I'll try it on at least one. At least all those knives only range $27-40 bucks right now :)

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, 'dealer pricing' may seem a little strong - my distributors have most of these knives in stock. Pricing is slightly better than Amazon or some other online sites I've seen. Like I said, a few dollars here and there. I'm happy to order knives for anyone who wants them, but by the time I add sales tax, price will be about the same as online sites. Who knows, though, maybe I'll start stocking some of these.

I was ordering some other stuff this morning anyway, so I threw in a Leatherman Skeletool, and a Spyderco Tenacious G10. It just made sense!

I'm getting a little scared that these may not be enough to satisfy, though.

Must...excercise...self-control...

The Tenacious was my first Spydie.. still love it though. Some of the fastest deployment of any of my knives (at least on mine).

Latest posts

Top Bottom