What carry knives are you in love with?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey E-Z-Bake - which models are these? :heart::heart:

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN7167.jpg

That's actually a Sprint-run Paramilitary 2 in Grey / CTS-20CP that I failed to dye toxic/lime green (I've dyed a few G10 scales over time, but that Grey that Spyderco uses just won't hold dye at all - I stripped it back to Grey from that awful SeaFoam Green). I've got about 5 Para-2 Sprints right now and am seriously considering dropping the cash for the Carbon-fiber S90V version that has gotten absolutely stupid on the secondary market.

GEEZ EZ Bake!!! So jealous right now! And you have the RED delica :D

Yeah - I bought a waved trainer (all the trainers come in red) and swapped scales so my son could have a red D4 (other son wanted a blue D4). I've got a few more that I don't have pics of and I've honestly sold a few of the those I took pics of.

Here's a good cheap way to store them:

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN7160.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN7161.jpg

i70.photobucket.com_albums_i91_rawatkins_Knives_DSCN7162.jpg

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have many knives including many automatics.My edc for the last few years......Kershaw, Ken Onion assisted opening.For a working knife, I love it.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The most handy, easiest to carry knife I've ever owned is by far the boker subcom. Never leave the house without it clipped in the right front pocket.

That's what I carry when I'm wearing shorts - though I took the clip off and it just rides in my pocket. Otherwise I carry my Kershaw Blur.

Yeah, I had one of those that I used as a money clip for a while. I think I wound up trading it for...something. :scratch:

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey ez bake - which models are these? Me likey! :heart::heart:

The second looks like some model of the Stretch.. but I wanna know about the first one also!!

I got the Purple Delica in the mail yesterday - my intention is still to duracoat the blade pink and engrave it to give to my g/f as a defensive blade. But... it's SO pretty :o scares me to mess with it!!

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, missed several replies while I was guessing! Dude I LIKED that Para2 you had in green! What do you use to dye G10... and is the black G10 that comes on the tenacious and stuff also, or does it have to be a lighter G10 to begin with?

EDIT: Also EZ Bake, that's funny that you swapped the grip from a trainer... I had totally mentioned that idea to a friend... I just don't wanna own a trainer! If someone wanted a trainer in a non-red color I'd totally buy the color they want and trade grips with them!

EDIT 2: Question for EZ or any big Spyderco fans... since I'm new to this game somewhat... what's the best way to get your hands on Sprint runs? Not old ones... upcoming ones. Do they come out a certain day/month? Do you have to buy them from Spyderco?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, missed several replies while I was guessing! Dude I LIKED that Para2 you had in green! What do you use to dye G10... and is the black G10 that comes on the tenacious and stuff also, or does it have to be a lighter G10 to begin with?

EDIT: Also EZ Bake, that's funny that you swapped the grip from a trainer... I had totally mentioned that idea to a friend... I just don't wanna own a trainer! If someone wanted a trainer in a non-red color I'd totally buy the color they want and trade grips with them!

Yeah - that 2nd knife is a Stretch in Carbon-Fiber and ZDP189. I just use RIT dye on the stove-top and take great care to clean the scales first (and don't touch them with your fingers - the oils from your skin will change the dye pattern). With G10 and FRN, you always have to go to a darker color than the scales were to begin with (so Black G10 won't dye to anything other than darker black).

I sold the trainer with Grey scales on it (after I had to pry it away from my kids who loved the wave feature) for a bit of a loss, but it was worth it to get the red scales for my son's Delica.

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah - that 2nd knife is a Stretch in Carbon-Fiber and ZDP189. I just use RIT dye on the stove-top and take great care to clean the scales first (and don't touch them with your fingers - the oils from your skin will change the dye pattern). With G10 and FRN, you always have to go to a darker color than the scales were to begin with (so Black won't dye to anything other than darker black).

I sold the trainer with Grey scales on it (after I had to pry it away from my kids who loved the wave feature) for a bit of a loss, but it was worth it to get the red scales for my son's Delica.

Tempting me with the red Delica idea. Have you ever seen the white Delica or Endura in person? I think it was an '08 sprint.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EDIT 2: Question for EZ or any big Spyderco fans... since I'm new to this game somewhat... what's the best way to get your hands on Sprint runs? Not old ones... upcoming ones. Do they come out a certain day/month? Do you have to buy them from Spyderco?

There are true Sprint Runs, and then there are Dealer Exclusives. Dealer Exclusives are harder to come across, but Spyderco has made it a bit more convenient this year:

http://www.spyderco.com/exclusives/

The true Sprint Runs are typically noted on their website (and typically come in runs of 600 or 1200 I think), but the real way to get the scoop is to get on Bladeforums.com, USN or the Spyderco.com forums.

Benchmade is way worse about nailing a perfect knife in a Sprint run and not getting the word out to the general population. I've missed out on more nice Benchmades that I'll never be able to own than I ever cared to.

The White Delicas and Dragonflys come up on the secondary market every now and then. They're popular because you can dye them any color you want.

stevie_d

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what color I'd dye them :o I'm indecisive.

I need some help deciding on another thing. As of tonight I'll have the whole Ambitious - Persistence - Tenacious - Resilience lineup. I have the supplies to duracoat all the blades and clips matte black, and duracoat all the steel liners dark plum purple (Duracoat's "Maroon"). Should I do it? :/

EDIT: Also... think it would be informative for people here if I took some pics of the process and did brief write-up... or is there already plenty of that kinda stuff around?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know what color I'd dye them :o I'm indecisive.

I need some help deciding on another thing. As of tonight I'll have the whole Ambitious - Persistence - Tenacious - Resilience lineup. I have the supplies to duracoat all the blades and clips matte black, and duracoat all the steel liners dark plum purple (Duracoat's "Maroon"). Should I do it? :/

EDIT: Also... think it would be informative for people here if I took some pics of the process and did brief write-up... or is there already plenty of that kinda stuff around?

I wouldn't, but that's me. I personally strip coatings off of blades/lock-bars and clips because Satin won't show the wear as badly as coated metal does. I've stripped, polished and stone-washed a few pocket-clips after having them a while because I just personally like the look. I like my carbon-steel blades to have a coating so I don't have to worry about rust as much, but other than that - its just for looks (and if you use the knife, the looks will go quickly).

FRN and G10 hold up well (their color goes all the way through them), but keep in mind that even if you RIT Dye them, it only penetrates to a very shallow depth into the material. They will eventually wear and the true color will show through.

If you use your knives for food-prep, you'll find that citric acids and various other food-related liquids will do funny things to coatings (and carbon steel to be honest). If you want a pretty user, then get an all satin blade/hardware model with an FRN or G10 handle of your choice and yank the hardware off and have it stone-washed. The scratches won't show up as badly and the pretty parts (the FRN/G10) are almost indestructible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom