what chemicals to remove paint

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langston302

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I painted my ar....now I want to remove it and try something different. I used Krylon camouflage OD. I tried brake cleaner and carb cleaner.....no dice. I even tried naptha.....what to use?

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
awww.tankerpartsstore.com_mm5_graphics_00000001_KLN_AR_343.jpg

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brake cleaner didn't take off the Krylon? Surprised, as it always works for me. Step up to a heavy-duty paint stripper, just make sure you wear gloves as that stuff is caustic as hell!

Or use....

[Broken External Image]

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
i'm a painter by trade and some cheicals will turn plastic to goo,so be careful there. commercial aerosol graffitti removers work well on the metal but i would try a citrus based graffitti remover for plastic if you have any painted. good luck

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used B12 Chemtool to strip paint off of some AR parts I bought. I tried a small place on the plastic to make sure it would not do damage. It worked great.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brake cleaner didn't take off the Krylon? Surprised, as it always works for me. Step up to a heavy-duty paint stripper, just make sure you wear gloves as that stuff is caustic as hell!
Yep, Kleanstrip will remove cured Duracoat.:cool:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Klean-Strip-Premium-Paint-Stripper/17208799

And, yep, longsleeves & coveralls w/industrial rubber gloves are the uniform. A droplet on your forearm feel like a jab with a hot needle, if you let it sit.

Needless to say, not what you want to use on the furniture.

Digger

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Paint thinner has no effect on dried paint. Use paint and varnish remover and take it off quickly with fine steel wool without rubbing it to hard. Follow up with lacquer thinner and fine steel wool to get out of the grooves. A brass brush on the detail areas will not mar the finish.

Latest posts

Top Bottom