What Do You Collect?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
antique oil lamps.

I work with technology every day so there's something relaxing about staring into the flame of an 80yr old oil lamp.
It reminds me of a time before most people had electricity and fire was the only way to light a house or cook a meal.

I have several.

Moore Guns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always love guns, but lately I've been saving for RZR XP4 parts. That stuff is EXPENSIVE! :(

Need custom cage, tree kickers, and 30 DOT approved tires. Then about 100 other things.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang it. I saw a thread around here for a restored South bend lathe. I can't find it now.

It might have been mine. I used the South Bend with a jig, in an attempt to get a high gloss finish on a gun stock. Thought I'd put it on a slow turn, and keep any runs from forming while it dryed. Didn't work. Didn't get any runs, but to get that DEEP finish, had to go old school with the finger style application,(thank you Viking) and put about 22 coats on the stock to get the look I wanted.

Last years project was a Delta Wood lathe from the 50's. The main project was the refinishing the oak/cast Iron stand. Interesting project as some oil had penetrated the wood, and when sanding it would cause a dip in the soft wood under the stain. The antique open frame electric motor that has oil pots on the bearings for the operator to lube.
I've replaced it with a modern motor for now, as I can't find a pulley for the shaft. Its a unique design. Probably build one, and get the original motor back on it. You can see the rotor spin in the open frame design. Probably wouldn't pass the OSHA inspection, LOL....

Latest posts

Top Bottom