What is the best way for long term water storage and water purification in the field?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncarper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think back-up and redundancy is important for water purification. The method, at least for me, varies based on the source. If I had to pull water from my pond I would filter it first and then treat with chlorine or boil it. If the water is coming from rain collection I would just filter it. If it was coming from the well I wouldn't do anything. It really depends - most importantly though, one needs to have multiple options.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's a low-tech way to purify water using sunlight.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6371825_purify-water-using-natural-resources.html

I have a couple of shiny metal trays on top of a cabinet in the garage (they started out life as the trays to catch poo in the chicken and rabbit hutches), several 2-liter pop bottles and a stack of old cotton t-shirts (for filtering dirty water) I've saved specifically for this purpose. I've also got a gallon of Clorox bleach up there.

Lurker's right ... boiled water tastes like arse ... but intestinal upset from drinking bad water (which I've had btw) is a bazillon times worse ...

ncarper

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

Serenity Bushcraft

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
prefilter your H2O with a homemade sand a charcoal filter, they are easy to make. It will help eliminate some of the chunks at least but not anything that will make you sick. I have a ceramic filter that is attached to a 5 gallon bucket and it drains through to another bucket. I used two colors of buckets. Two red ones for the prefiltering and a white one for the filtered H2O. That way there is less of a chance of cross nastification. Once the H20 has been filtered completly I will add bleach to help preserve the water and kill any nasties that might have made it through. If the water is from a really questionable source then I suggest boiling after filtering and then add bleach.
I use this process for gathering large ammounts of H2O for camp but I carry a Katidyn portable filter when I am out hiking. I have pumped some terraible looking water through that thing and have never gotten sick.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
prefilter your H2O with a homemade sand a charcoal filter, they are easy to make. It will help eliminate some of the chunks at least but not anything that will make you sick. I have a ceramic filter that is attached to a 5 gallon bucket and it drains through to another bucket. I used two colors of buckets. Two red ones for the prefiltering and a white one for the filtered H2O. That way there is less of a chance of cross nastification. Once the H20 has been filtered completly I will add bleach to help preserve the water and kill any nasties that might have made it through. If the water is from a really questionable source then I suggest boiling after filtering and then add bleach.
I use this process for gathering large ammounts of H2O for camp but I carry a Katidyn portable filter when I am out hiking. I have pumped some terraible looking water through that thing and have never gotten sick.

This is exactly the method I'm talking about. This method has a name to it, I just can't remember it. However, bleach breaks down over time. I would recommend pool shock so you can make bleach whenever you need it. The pool shock powder won't break down like bleach in a bottle.

OKC9-12LEDR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use the Big Berkey for filtration. If I have concerns about the water source, I have pool shock. There are three kinds of shock, Calcium Hypochlorite is the one you want to use. You can buy a 1 pound bag of this for a few dollars at most pool supply stores. That will treat thousands of gallons of water. There is the method of using this material.

Granular Calcium Hypochlorite
Using granular calcium hypochlorite to disinfest water is a 2 step process
1 – Make a stock of chlorine solution – Dissolve 1 heaping teaspoon of hi-test granular
calcium hypochlorite in two gallons (8 liters) of water
2 – Disinfect water by adding one part of the chlorine solution to 100 parts of water to be treated.
Note: Let mixture sit for at least one-half hour before drinking

Latest posts

Top Bottom