What is the fine for carrying concealed weapon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told by a OHP trooper last tuesday morning here in mcalester, that if i am transporting my pistol from town to my own land out west of town, i had to have the gun in the open and the ammo lock in someplace out of reach, stopping the quick access. I tried to get a ccl, but am unable to(see shrink in VA for ptsd, son is a adjudicated delinquent), so i was asking him what the law says, and his opinion/recommendations. I also found out through the discussion, he doesn't like open carry. We discussed the reasons why he doesn't like the law, being his safety was the reason i took from the talk. I asked isn't every leo suppose to take the stop as if the person is armed until proven otherwise? I think it surprised him i asked that question especially at 5am in a gas station.

He is wrong.

TITLE 21 § 1289.7 FIREARMS IN VEHICLES
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section “open” means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.
Any person who is the operator of a vehicle or is a passenger in any vehicle wherein another person who is licensed pursuant to the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Sections 1 through 26 of this act, to carry a concealed handgun and is carrying a concealed handgun or has concealed the handgun in such vehicle, shall not be deemed in violation of the provisions of this section provided the licensee is in or near the vehicle.

Law says firearm must be UNLOADED, does NOT say magazine can't be loaded or that ammo must be inaccessible.

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title
Maybe this is Symantec's, and Buzzgun thank you for the answer, but the question i have is, if i have my sig in the holster on the dash or in the case in the open, no mag inserted, but the loaded mag say in my pocket or the center console in my truck, what would be the actions taken by the LEO's? Would i loose my pistol, taken to jail , held at scene for a long while and interrogated? Can someone who is or was a LEO give me some idea.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The laws are in place and you should be OK with your mag in your pocket. But, the entire situation depends on how the LEO thinks the law is stated. In 32 posts it has been proven that various LEO's may interpret the laws differently. If you happen to get an LEO that thinks your doing something wrong you may get to go to jail. Even if you are completely within the law and eventually get off you're still going to have a big hassle.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title
Maybe this is Symantec's, and Buzzgun thank you for the answer, but the question i have is, if i have my sig in the holster on the dash or in the case in the open, no mag inserted, but the loaded mag say in my pocket or the center console in my truck, what would be the actions taken by the LEO's? Would i loose my pistol, taken to jail , held at scene for a long while and interrogated? Can someone who is or was a LEO give me some idea.

An officer on this board cannot tell you what another officer somewhere else might or might not do, all you can do is look at what the law actually says and the law says that the firearm must be unloaded, it does NOT say anything about the ammo being inaccessible.

saltydecimator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
big hassle eh? how big a hassle exactly? like boardin up the train for the trip to auschwitz or like havin to put pants on to get the newspaper?

the way i see it is they are here for us, and if they would get their jack boots off our necks to let us talk they would probably understand that by now. it seems a fairly simple solution to all this police-scared-of-citizenry-ness,take less responsibility! them bein heroes is what got us in this mess!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
big hassle eh? how big a hassle exactly? like boardin up the train for the trip to auschwitz or like havin to put pants on to get the newspaper?

the way i see it is they are here for us, and if they would get their jack boots off our necks to let us talk they would probably understand that by now. it seems a fairly simple solution to all this police-scared-of-citizenry-ness,take less responsibility! them bein heroes is what got us in this mess!

:popcorn:

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What if your intoxicated. I ask because this happened to a friend last weekend. He was not in the car, the loaded gun was and he was standing in the driveway at his inlaws house when the cops were called for something else. The gun was laying visible in the back seat of his car and the LEO saw it (yes hes a dumbass and I convinced him to get to an AA meeting yesturday).
The HP said that was a felony but for some reason didnt press the issue further and he got no fine or nothing.

interesting story and im glad it worked out for him.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not if the ammo isnt locked separately in the glovebox.

Incorrect, just recently a an 18 year old in Broken Arrow in possession of a Glock with a loaded magazine in the cup holder next to the pistol in the center console was the target of an attempted car jacking. He loaded the firearm and shot the perp, he was cleared of any charges. Oklahoma has no requirement to keep ammunition and firearms stored out of reach of one another in a vehicle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom