What is the proper way to drill a hole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pieces of rock in the cement can cause the drill to wander off to the side. If possible, wait until you get the lift and drill through the existing holes to make sure they line up. That will also keep the bit from wandering when hitting hard stuff in the mix.

Raoul Duke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Somewhere in the stillborn state of Sequoyah
Take a punch or pointed cold chisel, hit it with a hammer on your layout mark, this will help keep the bit from walking as bad when you initially start drilling the hole. Start with a smaller diameter drill bit, maybe 1/4 to 3/8, as a pilot hole first. Use tape on the bit to mark the depth you want. Don't drill more than 3/4 to 1 inch at a time without backing the drill out while running to clear material from the hole as you drill. Pray you don't hit rebar.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It would be easier to make a jig/pattern out of plywood than it would be to use the uprights themselves as guides, particularly if some of the holes are very close to the uprights.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
something that hasn't been brought up, is your concrete slab thick enough ?
some of the lifts require a 6" slab, some only 4"

The lift calls for 3500 psi concrete 4" thick.

When I built the house, I request this as a minimum in my shop. I will verify the thickness when I drill for the anchors.

This lift is way over-engineered , especially compared to the Chinese lifts. The lift is tested to 1.5 times the 10,000lbs lift capacity. The baseplates are 24" square vs 16" with the Chinese lifts. That is 225% greater surface area footprint. This equates to the weight being distributed that much more and less stress per square inch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom