What is the proper way to drill a hole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best answer was the first, by mksmth.

I've drilled many such holes and have watched others do the same. It is funny, but some people just can't hold a drill at perpendicular to the work surface to save their souls. If you have the knack, you don't need any guides; if you don't, you need all the help you can get.

Wrap a piece of tape around the bit at the depth you want to drill. Clean out the hole simply by withdrawing the bit while it's turning.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is indoors, it's helpful to use a shop vac to catch the powdered concrete.

The guy who installed my above ground shelter in my garage had cut a "V" in the end of his hose attachment and held it close to the bit as he drilled. He drilled 9 holes in my garage floor, and there was not a speck of dust when he was done. Used high strength Hilti fasteners. Anyone with a small family and/or issues with ladders or steep stairs might want to look at what we did: http://www.newdaytornadoshelters.com/

If your house is recent, there may be cables buried in the concrete that you really do not want to hit. I am far from expert on this, so find someone who is. I think you can detect steel with the right equipment.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this is indoors, it's helpful to use a shop vac to catch the powdered concrete.

The guy who installed my above ground shelter in my garage had cut a "V" in the end of his hose attachment and held it close to the bit as he drilled. He drilled 9 holes in my garage floor, and there was not a speck of dust when he was done. Used high strength Hilti fasteners. Anyone with a small family and/or issues with ladders or steep stairs might want to look at what we did: http://www.newdaytornadoshelters.com/

If your house is recent, there may be cables buried in the concrete that you really do not want to hit. I am far from expert on this, so find someone who is. I think you can detect steel with the right equipment.
My parents got one of those shelters last fall. Pretty kool product.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do have a post tension foundation. There is a thread somewhere around here about asking how to find the cables. A metal detector will give you an idea of where they're at. It's more like a range than a point.

There is sidewalk chalk marks all over my shop floor showing the cables. Lol

And the above ground shelter is the only way to go with the post tension cable foundation.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The thought of my 9,000 lb truck flying at 200 mph and hitting that worries me a little.

I agree, but my point was you shouldn't cut the tendons on a post tension foundation to install an underground shelter. In fact I don't know if a company would install an underground shelter in a post tension foundation. I've seen companies languages stating this.

I would rather be undergroumd myself, but if that wasn't available, I would take an above ground.

Latest posts

Top Bottom