What is the proper way to drill a hole?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel a little weird asking this. I've drilled a million holes in steel, but only a few in concrete. And my life didn't rely on most of those.

I'm installing my new Worth AMERICAN made, 2 post lift and it requires 12 3/4" holes for the concrete anchors. I have my hammerdrill and 3/4" masonary bit.

What is the proper technique to drill these so I dont wollar out the holes or dull and or break the bit?

Last edited:

mksmth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pretty much the same as metal. Keep the drill straight and let the bit do the work. I like drill for little while then clean the hole. Drill again and clean etc until you get the depth you need. Use some air to blow out the hole before you set your anchors

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Practice... or have a buddy look while you drill.. or you could stand a couple short straight cut 2x4's up around thye drill area to give you a perspective of where straight up is.

I would drill all the way through to the sand under it when setting anchors in concrete .
That way if you mess it up you can pound the anchor down and out and install another one. Really hard to pull them out.

When I was setting 3/8" in concrete to build rack systems I could drill well over 100 holes before the bit started dulling. Those can be sharpened.

Keep them from getting too hot helps.. when we core drilled holes we poured water while drilling but never any water for simple anchor holes.

backspur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You could build a wood jig for your drill to keep it perpendicular to the floor. All you would need is a flat base plate to sit on the floor. Attach legs to the base that will support your drill in an upright position perpendicular to the base. Insert the drill and put a guide hole through the base plate. Then you can slide the base around, line it up over your hole locations, stand on the base and drill your perpendicular holes. Your floor would have to be relatively level, but you could shim the base. I've never tried this, but if I was tackling the project it's where I would start.

Latest posts

Top Bottom