What is this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zachrankin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up some spent brass / reloading iteams this weekend at an auction. Any idea what these are? What purpose they serve? Or did arts and crafts go too far?

Attachments

• IMG_6804.jpeg
    IMG_6804.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6805.jpeg
    IMG_6805.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Zachrankin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like someone drilled them out to use shotgun primers in them, maybe to use as blanks for trick shooting. But hard to say without having one in my hands to do some measuring.
You might be on to something! Thank you!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the 2nd time my post disappeared, but was trying to say I think Rick's on the trail, & measurements are in order.
The pics look like .45 LC casings(??) made to hold 209 shotgun primers for a charge, & the open end appears to contain a black.....substance (wax, tar??).
Way back in PrePaintBallHistory; I knew a guy who'd have 'shootouts' w/ his brother using Colt revolvers holding red plastic casings & regular primers. They used 'cookie cutter' bullets made by pressing the cases into thick sheets of warm wax.
Can't recall the names, but pretty sure their last name wasn't 'Baldwin'.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in PreHisteric days , indoor (parlor/saloon/basement) target shooting was very popular. They had special 'Flobert' (Flow Bear) guns that fired .22 CB caps. These were extra short '.22 Lites' that ran on just the rimfire primers. Get some 209s & some sort of plasticky bullets, & those suckers ought to kill any large game (rodent) in North America.
(At close range)
...Any way.
Good Score!

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I make wax bullets using hotglue and a regular bullet mold for whatever caliber im making them for just squirt the glue in the mold like your pouring lead and knock the spur off and drop the bullet out sometimes have to help it out with a pick or your finger. I shot a 45 out of a Ruger BH once at a metal garage door 50 ft away and it left a very noticeable dent in the door.

NomDeBoom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good idea.
I was thinking about some of these plastic/epoxy type pourable liquids- as log as the recipe isn't too brittle & hangs together well on the way to the target- a la (rubber/latex/nylon) bullets. You also might not want them to ricochet/bounce a'round' too much after initial contact, or smear up/corrode your barrel, either.
PVC?

Latest posts

Top Bottom