What is wrong with my AR-15???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weak ammo? What buffer and carrier does it have?
Try this: cock the hammer, remove buffer and spring, close and pin upper to lower, pull charging handle back, is it abnormally hard to pull the bolt back? It should be relatively easy. It should rechamber by bouncing the muzzle into the carpet with one or two bounces! Reinstall spring and buffer.

It's not easy to pull the bolt back.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds to me like there is a bind in the Lower parts kit with the bolt carrier or an alignment problem with the bolt carrier and upper (this would be very rare but I have seen it), or a bent charging handle. Does it have one of those great big old tac latches that you have been using?

Now I know none of these things are possible because everything from LMT is "on the list" so this type of thing never would happen so this is all hypothetical. Another thing I have noticed is that only guns made with "the list" parts need the gas rings set a certain way, all my "non list" guns will run with a single gas ring, and I have tried them all with the gaps aligned and they all worked flawlessly. I have one dreded Bushmaster that will run "most of the time" with NO RINGS AT ALL, but that is only most of the time....the rest of the time it short cycles but does go bang.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds to me like there is a bind in the Lower parts kit with the bolt carrier or an alignment problem with the bolt carrier and upper (this would be very rare but I have seen it), or a bent charging handle. Does it have one of those great big old tac latches that you have been using?

Now I know none of these things are possible because everything from LMT is "on the list" so this type of thing never would happen so this is all hypothetical. Another thing I have noticed is that only guns made with "the list" parts need the gas rings set a certain way, all my "non list" guns will run with a single gas ring, and I have tried them all with the gaps aligned and they all worked flawlessly. I have one dreded Bushmaster that will run "most of the time" with NO RINGS AT ALL, but that is only most of the time....the rest of the time it short cycles but does go bang.

I think you mean "the chart" not "the list". :wink2:

peanut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
It's not easy to pull the bolt back.

Some type of binding, possibly hammer to carrier or bolt to carrier?
Or machineing inside the upper not quite right?
Check the trigger group for correct installation?
Try problem lower on diff known good upper?
Try problem upper on known good lower?

Also, does the bolt and carrier slide freely in the upper by hand?

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Firing pin retaining pin inserted from wrong side? Hey just saying, I'm sure you checked that but sometimes it's the stupid-simple things....

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get in trouble and put on the list, when I use "the chart" so instead of "the chart" I use "the list"....unless it is a list of things on "the chart", in which case I am ok.

Bent Charging handle anyone?

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If it won't cycle with the buffer and spring removed then you've found why it won't cycle, it should slide completely freely.

You may have bent the charging handle while yanking on it when it malfed (I've done it and it was shockingly easy to do) but I dunno about a charging handle causing all your problems. Check the bolt hold open lever and make sure it doesn't have a burr or something that won't let it sit all the way down into it's slot in the lower. If it's peeking up then the carrier won't cycle freely and your hold open may or may not work since it's jammed down in the slot pretty well by the carrier rubbing on it.

If there isn't anything obviously wrong I'd send the dern thing back to LMT and have them fix it, life is too short to be screwing with something that should be working.

Latest posts

Top Bottom