What is your top 380 pocket pistol?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Double Tap

I carry the Keltec, it’s my “better than nothing” gun. It’s reliable enough, I’ve run about 1500 or so rounds thru it. I will say it likes hot loads to operate 100% of the time. If I pick up cheap practice ammo, I have a little (very little) trouble with it short stroking and re-chambering the spent round. However with hotter loads I have never had any problems.

Now since getting together with King’s Guns and teaching the SDA CCW class there I have now had the occasion to shoot just about every pocket .380 on the market.

The Sig is NICE, but designed to be carried cocked and locked, not really a “pocket gun” in my opinion. Now that being said, the felt recoil, handling, sights and accuracy of the Sig are second to none.

The S&W Bodyguard is another fine weapon system. With the added “benefit” of a slide lock and a safety all located on the control side of the gun, they can be found relativity easily, however by design, they are low profile and would be difficult to work while wet or in the dark without a lot of training. It also offers on some models an integrated laser with right and left side operation in front of the trigger guard. The laser has both steady and flashing modes. Not a big fan of lasers, but it is what it is.

The Ruger LCP, to me, is nothing more than a Keltec with a slide lock. 100% nothing wrong with it, just “nothing special”.

Taurus makes another pocket gun, a little thicker than the Keltec or Ruger but for the most part, the same gun.

I bought my own Diamond Back DB380, still putting it thru the paces (1000 rounds thru a gun before I’ll carry it) and if you are a Glock fan, this will be the gun you like the looks of. So far, maybe 450 rounds into the test period, this will be my replacement for my Keltec. MUCH better sights, about the same trigger, good enough accuracy for the “better than nothing” gun.

I have found learning to stage the trigger on all these little guns will drastically improve accuracy, however if this is the way you would intend to operate it in a time is life situation, you had better be very well trained and confident with doing so. I really don’t believe that any of these weapon systems are a good choice (even if currently the most popular) for an untrained shooter, or someone that does not intend to take it to the range and train, and train, and train. Unfortunately I see the most common buyer for this type of weapon system to be women that MIGHT shoot it once or twice and then it will go in the purse and there it will stay until the need it, however at that point I don’t think it will be very effective if Murphy is there.

Just a side note, the Ruger LCR in either .38 or .357 is a great alternative to the pocket guns. Not that much bigger really (a little and a little thicker, I know) but the size difference is nominal compared to the ease of operation of a 5 shot hammerless wheel gun. I carry my LCR 70% of the time I carry (and I carry EVERYDAY), the next 25% of the time I carry a full frame because of having a coat on, or other cold weather clothing. Only the remaining 5% of the time to I switch to my better than nothing .380, The Keltec was bought to be a backup gun while I was a cop, carried on my duty belt behind the left cuff case. But that is my 2 cents.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
olyeller said:
My top pocket pistol is one I can get sub 1.5 second draws from. In other words, there aint one.

Here we go.....again. While pocket carry is not the optimum, it's better than a sharp stick and you get to start with you're hand on you're gun if you suspect trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom