What kind of generator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One other thing about the inverter style generators, at least with Honda and Yamaha. The rating in the model number is the max surge. If you exceed this or the continuous rating, the inverter will shut down. You have to turn off the unit and restart it to get it back on. If you are going to get an inverter style generator, you want to be generous in your loading calculation and if in doubt go with the larger unit.

reading spec's ... used to think this exact logic. but with some careful startup/hooking up of electrical appliances. it's amazing what a little EU2000i can sustain.

max load occurs during startup ... if one carefully plugs in each appliance one at a time ... then allow EU2000i to recover from extra load sustained during each appliance startup. was able to run an amazing number electrical appliances all at the same time.

during an extended electrical outage, high possibility your fuel source could become scarce. at any given time, will have several 5 gallon fuel cans that's kept in rotation. folks with large propane tanks are most immune from fuel disruption. even natural gas lines can be disrupted during some types of natural disasters.

last extended outage in Tulsa was the epic ice storm that knocked out my power for 2 1/2 weeks. had trouble finding fuel ... gas stations need electricity to run pumps too. really drove home need to run the smallest genset possible.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is one we are getting next week. Solar power, may end up getting 2. This will definitely be backup power. Portable enough to take it to the shelter, too. Eventually, I'll probably get this one and hook it up for the whole house.

Peak Power Output (Watts) 1500.0
Battery Capacity (Watt-Hours) 1250.0
Generator Weight (lbs.) 116.0
Solar Panel Power Output (Watts) 30.0
Number of Solar Panels Included 2

Fully recharge from the sun in 20-22 hours with clean, free solar energy, or simply plug into the wall with the included AC cord to recharge in 16-20 hours;
---------------------

this means your "generator" will put out 1250 watts for one hour when batteries are fully charged. this unit only has 2x 30 watt panels taking days to charge back up ... not very useful except for very limited use.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
reading spec's ... used to think this exact logic. but with some careful startup/hooking up of electrical appliances. it's amazing what a little EU2000i can sustain.

max load occurs during startup ... if one carefully plugs in each appliance one at a time ... then allow EU2000i to recover from extra load sustained during each appliance startup. was able to run an amazing number electrical appliances all at the same time.

during an extended electrical outage, high possibility your fuel source could become scarce. at any given time, will have several 5 gallon fuel cans that's kept in rotation. folks with large propane tanks are most immune from fuel disruption. even natural gas lines can be disrupted during some types of natural disasters.

last extended outage in Tulsa was the epic ice storm that knocked out my power for 2 1/2 weeks. had trouble finding fuel ... gas stations need electricity to run pumps too. really drove home need to run the smallest genset possible.
You can run quite a bit with a 2000, I have 2 freezers plus fridge, heat, computer, and TV. We like our comforts, I even have a portable air conditioner that I can run off the 4500 generator. The wife has an auto-immune condition where she cannot take real hot conditions. I keep 30 gal of gas on hand. If necessary I can run the generator a few hours in the morning and evening. I figure I can last 2 to 3 weeks that way. I also have a solar system on my shop building that I can run some things in the house from that.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Huh? I don't see how it's possible. When switched to generator the main would have to be switched off, that panel slid up locking it out, and then the generator breaker switched on locking the lockout in place?

I believe this is exactly what I explained. Both the MAIN and the GENERATOR breakers are INTERLOCKED, preventing both to be on at the same time.

Peak Power Output (Watts) 1500.0
Battery Capacity (Watt-Hours) 1250.0
Generator Weight (lbs.) 116.0
Solar Panel Power Output (Watts) 30.0
Number of Solar Panels Included 2

Fully recharge from the sun in 20-22 hours with clean, free solar energy, or simply plug into the wall with the included AC cord to recharge in 16-20 hours;
---------------------

this means your "generator" will put out 1250 watts for one hour when batteries are fully charged. this unit only has 2x 30 watt panels taking days to charge back up ... not very useful except for very limited use.

Definitely for limited use and portability.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can run quite a bit with a 2000, I have 2 freezers plus fridge, heat, computer, and TV. We like our comforts, I even have a portable air conditioner that I can run off the 4500 generator. The wife has an auto-immune condition where she cannot take real hot conditions. I keep 30 gal of gas on hand. If necessary I can run the generator a few hours in the morning and evening. I figure I can last 2 to 3 weeks that way. I also have a solar system on my shop building that I can run some things in the house from that.

by carefully plugging in one freezer at a time. manged to get EU2000 to support one full size frig and 3 freezers. all at same time. got two EU2000 with parallel kit, but have never needed to use both yet.

also have a construction 6500 watt genset with a 13hp Honda motor that runs great but uses too much fuel for my needs. a big honking genset that would be needed for someone that has to maintain air conditioning, etc. have not used that big 6500 watt genset for several years... need to yank that baby out and sell it on Craigslist.

Latest posts

Top Bottom