What kind of generator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one that Road Runner mentioned at http://www.powerlandonline.com/produ...acpg=PD3G8500E looks like a great one! Im an electrician and I'm thinking about it and a transfer switch so I don't need to string cords everywhere. Of couse you could just wire it into your panel but Ive heard that when a lineman electrician up on the lines gets killed they go after the perpetrator with involuntary manslaughter charges...

That link doesn't work.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a Yamaha 4500i. It uses half the gas as my old Generac 4000, it has electric start, and is quiet. I checked the the Yamaha dealer on 39th St and he could not come close, especially with the sales tax. I told him I was sorry, but I was going with the one from Amazon. He said that he could not blame me, and if I needed warranty or any other kind of service they would be glad to take care of me.

JGreen

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 5000kw I picked up at HaborFreight 5yrs back that has served me well througr several outtages keeping the freezers, refer n stove going. It doubles in use running the Lincoln welder when needed away from a powder source. I also have a Yamaha 2000i that does a yeoman's job supplying the RV off grid. Love em both.

Your harbor freight generator will run a 220 welder? I bought a generator about the same size and the salesman told me it would not work, so I have never actually tried it.

willnotgoquietly

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget that the motor life on the small cheap generators is not all that great. A few hundred hours. A diesel would last a long time but cost a bunch. Running the generator would attract a lot of attention. Anyway get a Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor for 20 bucks or so and measure all the things that need to run. I'm hoping that I could run my cheap harbor freight 3300 watt generator for a few hours morning and evening to keep the fridge cool. Charge a 12 car battery at the same time and use it to charge phones and run small things. Also buy some extra oil and change the oil every few days. Maybe that would help keep it from burning up.

Some more thoughts.
Put/Keep 100% gas in at least one car. Generators and motorcycles don't like ethanol.
Do we really need power for everything? Our grandparents lived without power. It would be much cheaper to to get alternate means to do things then buy a huge generator. Oil lamps, board games, vent free fireplace [If the gas was on]. Dutch over over the grill. What do we need power for vs what do want power for kind of thing.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One other thing about the inverter style generators, at least with Honda and Yamaha. The rating in the model number is the max surge. If you exceed this or the continuous rating, the inverter will shut down. You have to turn off the unit and restart it to get it back on. If you are going to get an inverter style generator, you want to be generous in your loading calculation and if in doubt go with the larger unit.

BikerHT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the pic above why can the 2 pole breaker not be on with the panel off?

The generator is backfeeding this breaker; you only want power from the generator in the box when the main breaker is off - thereby removing utility power.
When utility power is lost, the main is turned OFF, the interlock slides up, allowing the Generator breaker to be turned ON. Power from the generator feeds backwards thru the breaker, energizing the entire breaker box.

I'll repost this again since it's been awhile.

This is my new interlock kit installed and ready to go.

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab279_forbin09_Generators2011003.jpg

Complete thread with pics:
http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?133335-My-New-Generator-Setup&highlight=interlock

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The generator is backfeeding this breaker; you only want power from the generator in the box when the main breaker is off - thereby removing utility power.
When utility power is lost, the main is turned OFF, the interlock slides up, allowing the Generator breaker to be turned ON. Power from the generator feeds backwards thru the breaker, energizing the entire breaker box.

Huh? I don't see how it's possible. When switched to generator the main would have to be switched off, that panel slid up locking it out, and then the generator breaker switched on locking the lockout in place?

Latest posts

Top Bottom