What kind of generator?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More great advice! I am still doing a little research in what spare time I have right now. May have to trade a gun for one. I also need to do the math and calculate how many total watts I need. I don't want to necessarily run the entire house, but heat, fridges and lights.

Walrus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I noticed an earlier note about fuel storage - specifically the longer-term ability of diesel vs gasoline to remain fresh.

One thing I'd recommend is that everyone who intends to have a generator running on any fuel except propane is to never store fuel without adding fuel stabilizer. And I don't mean the watered-down stuff you buy at WaddleMart. Get the good stuff: Pri-D for diesel and Pri-G for gasoline. (Same suggestion for lawn mowers, tractors, etc. - any engine which might sit for a while between uses)

http://priproducts.com/

You get can get it shipped from Amazon in 6-gallon case lots or even drums if you've got the coin.

I do agree that propane is the best short-term solution and the best long-term solution is to drill your own gas well. There are some great shallow gas zones in Oklahoma which aren't presently commercial but would easily power a homestead.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed an earlier note about fuel storage - specifically the longer-term ability of diesel vs gasoline to remain fresh.

One thing I'd recommend is that everyone who intends to have a generator running on any fuel except propane is to never store fuel without adding fuel stabilizer. And I don't mean the watered-down stuff you buy at WaddleMart. Get the good stuff: Pri-D for diesel and Pri-G for gasoline. (Same suggestion for lawn mowers, tractors, etc. - any engine which might sit for a while between uses)

http://priproducts.com/

You get can get it shipped from Amazon in 6-gallon case lots or even drums if you've got the coin.

I do agree that propane is the best short-term solution and the best long-term solution is to drill your own gas well. There are some great shallow gas zones in Oklahoma which aren't presently commercial but would easily power a homestead.

must be nice to have your own well!~ I know of several families hooked up directly to oil wells of which natural gas is a part of.

for short term say under 6 months or so fuel stabilizers work reasonably good. but no telling how long before next power outage.
best tactic for all gas motors is ... drain fuel or shut off fuel, then let engine idle until it dies. this empties fuel completely from carbs.
most common reason for small engine repair is clearing out gunk from dried fuel in carb.

avoid problems completely by letting your engine idle until it dies. one drawback to EU2000i is no separate fuel shut-off. turning knob shuts down fuel/electronics at same time. cannot let engine run fuel dry.

starting up an engine with a completely dry carb is same as starting a brand new engine.

JamestheJust

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one that Road Runner mentioned at http://www.powerlandonline.com/produ...acpg=PD3G8500E looks like a great one! Im an electrician and I'm thinking about it and a transfer switch so I don't need to string cords everywhere. Of couse you could just wire it into your panel but Ive heard that when a lineman electrician up on the lines gets killed they go after the perpetrator with involuntary manslaughter charges...

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The one that Road Runner mentioned at http://www.powerlandonline.com/produ...acpg=PD3G8500E looks like a great one! Im an electrician and I'm thinking about it and a transfer switch so I don't need to string cords everywhere. Of couse you could just wire it into your panel but Ive heard that when a lineman electrician up on the lines gets killed they go after the perpetrator with involuntary manslaughter charges...

what's needed to prevent such tragedies is a two pole, double throw switch for single phase 220v between meter and fusebox. this completely isolates house's circuits from grid.

if power feedback from genset reaches transformers, voltage will be stepped up to full line voltage. a very dangerous situation indeed for lineman working on that circuit.

simplest method to avoid any problems is to run HD extension cords from genset to what ever needs power. all power stays isolated to appliances. a bit messier with cords all over, but no question where power is going to.

Last edited:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll repost this again since it's been awhile.

This is my new interlock kit installed and ready to go.

i871.photobucket.com_albums_ab279_forbin09_Generators2011003.jpg

Complete thread with pics:
http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?133335-My-New-Generator-Setup&highlight=interlock

Garand

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been doing a fair bit or reading and think I want to pic up a little honda or Yamaha 2000i.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a company to buy from?

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a 5000kw I picked up at HaborFreight 5yrs back that has served me well througr several outtages keeping the freezers, refer n stove going. It doubles in use running the Lincoln welder when needed away from a powder source. I also have a Yamaha 2000i that does a yeoman's job supplying the RV off grid. Love em both.

Latest posts

Top Bottom