What lubricant do you use on your firearms?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does anybody posting in this thread understand how the polymer chain in lubricants work?

Somewhat, but I can always use more information. I deal with many specialized lubricants on aircraft, and have a fundamental understanding of how different types function. We also use some types as a preservative also.

What is your recommendation for different types of potential wear and preservatives?

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does it really matter?

I bet I have literally 6 or 7 different types of oil in my cleaning kit. I've never noticed any difference between lubricants.

I clean with a solvent and reoil every gun after every use.

I can't see it making a difference as long as there is oil where there should be oil and the firearm is clean.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does it really matter?

I bet I have literally 6 or 7 different types of oil in my cleaning kit. I've never noticed any difference between lubricants.

I clean with a solvent and reoil every gun after every use.

I can't see it making a difference as long as there is oil where there should be oil and the firearm is clean.

I only got concerned after some oil i had been using solidified in the container. While it didn't harm the weapon I stopped using it. In general, I agree.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Windex and WD-40.

i23.photobucket.com_albums_b375_randy25rhoads_4f4a9529.jpg

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad to see others using Ballistol. I thought I was the only one. I like it because it is one of the few lubes that is compatible with both black powder and smokeless. Another product I really like is SweetShooter. Expensive as all get out, but a good product.

SuperDave, I'm glad to know I'm not the only blackpowder shooter on this board!:bighug: I was beginning to wonder.

mhphoto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad to see others using Ballistol. I thought I was the only one. I like it because it is one of the few lubes that is compatible with both black powder and smokeless.

Love Ballistol. It's my main cleaning agent, unless I get the urge to smell Hoppe's. Never lubed with it though. I always use Hoppe's oil for that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom