What made this hole(s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rebar or anything that was long enough to poke thru tire and strong enough to not bend but jab through the aluminum wheel. It could have been a number of things...

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rebar or anything that was long enough to poke thru tire and strong enough to not bend but jab through the aluminum wheel. It could have been a number of things...
That’s why I started this thread, because I couldn’t tell what caused it. Based on the responses it could have been almost anything that was thin enough, and hard enough and long enough or short enough and traveling fast enough, to cause the hole(s). The diameter of the hole is only about 5/16” or 3/8”.

OkieMoe

WHEELMAN
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s why I started this thread, because I couldn’t tell what caused it. Based on the responses it could have been almost anything that was thin enough, and hard enough and long enough or short enough and traveling fast enough, to cause the hole(s). The diameter of the hole is only about 5/16” or 3/8”.
Ive been in the wheel and tire business since 84. Seen toothpicks to police spikes etc over the years. And not saying its not a bullet hole. without some lead... its hard to say. but it would have lead left in the exit hole edges if it was.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some aluminum rims and with tires on them that are Honda or something I do not use.
I will take one and shoot it.
Ya think that was a .223?
Beside the point I will shoot at it with different calibers just for giggles.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been in the wheel and tire business since 84. Seen toothpicks to police spikes etc over the years. And not saying its not a bullet hole. without some lead... its hard to say. but it would have lead left in the exit hole edges if it was.
I can’t see any lead or copper from a fmj or anything else in the hole or on either edge, but I only have one eye, so there is that. I will get a magnifying glass and a good light and see if I can see anything else tonight when I get home.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some aluminum rims and with tires on them that are Honda or something I do not use.
I will take one and shoot it.
Ya think that was a .223?
Beside the point I will shoot at it with different calibers just for giggles.
Don’t waste a good wheel(s) on my account.
I am still deciding whether to fix this wheel or use it to see if I can duplicate the hole. I’m still looking the wheel over to see if I can find anything else to give clues as to the cause.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I have is not good to me as it was left at a rent house along with a couple truck loads of rims and other junk.
By my son,, go figure.
I have been putting off taking the tires off of them which are shredded from drifting.
Now I have a good excuse to shoot them.

If I was thinking I would have taken one yesterday to punch breather holes in them :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom