what powder to get colse to 3kfps with a 180 gr 308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upnover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am looking to get as close to 3000 fps out of my 26" barreled 308 as possible using a 180 gr bullet, I have been using win 760 just because I have it, any suggestions, already using federal match brass for more case volume and am using cc1 primers, any suggestions? thanks guys!

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

upnover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yes I own a chrony I am just looking to get as much as I can. I have been flattening primers, and knocking a couple out with win 760 and was just wondering if there was a better choice, not going to rechamber I want to keep same caliper as my socom

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The case just does not hold enough powder to get there..
If you load a max load of H4350 you still will be shy but pressures will be closer in check than say a faster powder.
All you will achieve in your quest is an eroded throat.
Or possibly busted parts.

Be prepared to fix broken extractors.
Flattened primers are not a good sign of over pressure..as some primer cups are soft..like the 210M federals.
Now a tough primer is the CCI #34.. that being flat and cratering would be a good sign that pressures are getting up there.

I have a .308 savage 10FP bull barrel and 24" long and accutrigger...
That one will get upper 2700 fps from the 178A max.
With my 30-06 and 22" barrel i can get just shy of 3000 fps with the same bullet..

Choose a bullet with a high BC and find an accuracy load...The 155gr sierra palma 2156 is a good one.
Now not for shooting deer though..Tried it and it makes a tiny hole in and a tiny hole out.. did the same with a hog.
I got 3176fps with that bullet in my 30-06.
Are you needing the speed for long range shooting(what is the distance)
or are you chasing speed braggin rights.

I was chasing braggin rights for speed then gave up as it proved nothing and was hard on my brass and weapon.
Now my accuracy load for the .308 is upper 2600fps and 165game king HPBT.
shoots .4" groups at 100 and .888" at 226 yards.
The 30-06 gets a 150 flat base and will shoot .75moa out to 300 yards. just under 3000 fps like 2936 fps on cold days .

So are you plinking ,,,hunting,,, or long range shooting????

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yes I own a chrony I am just looking to get as much as I can. I have been flattening primers, and knocking a couple out with win 760 and was just wondering if there was a better choice, not going to rechamber I want to keep same caliper as my socom

Stop chasing an unattainable goal, or you might wind up with a face full of shrapnel! :nolike:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Hodgdon site doesn't have a 180 load that comes anywhere near 3k FPS with any powder they make. 2683 is the fastest load they have. You can probably smudge that a little depending on your gun, but you won't get anywhere near 3000. Heck, they don't even have a 150 grain load that makes 3000 at max charge weights.

upnover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
really just looking for a long range load, 400 yards or so, i am just trying to get as much velocity out of it as i can, it will be for both hunting and plinking. i dident figure i could get to 3000 fps but just want to get closer than 2550 or so that i am at now, it sounds like a load in the upper 2600's is much more practical, thanks for all of the replies and your time!

Latest posts

Top Bottom