what powder to get colse to 3kfps with a 180 gr 308?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sell it and buy something capable of achieving that lofty goal. Why are you stuck on 180 gr slugs ? I'd try an amax or a 168 gr. barnes ttsx you'll get a lot closer with a higher bc bullet being pushed to an appropriate velocity. Try some bergers any of those three bullets would be fine way past the distance you're talking. And not have to be driven as fast. Here's what the barnes manual shows. http://www.barnesbullets.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/02/308WinWeb.pdf

Driller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The faster you push the bullet, the harder it is on your rifle. Go for accuracy. My 2575 fps loads will put a bullet within 0.5 MOA at 400 yards every time. Jack up the velocity, and the accuracy drops off...at least in my rifle. If you are set on the higher velocity, choose a different caliber, like 300 WM.

Dalyup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The faster you push the bullet, the harder it is on your rifle. Go for accuracy. My 2575 fps loads will put a bullet within 0.5 MOA at 400 yards every time. Jack up the velocity, and the accuracy drops off...at least in my rifle. If you are set on the higher velocity, choose a different caliber, like 300 WM.

+1.
And we all know that the .300 wm is a throat eater.
I don't think its possible to get 3000 out of the .308 with that bullet. Well possible but with detrimental effects.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well upnover that ain't too bad.

I started my reloading with my 30-30 in hand..as the ammo i had from the 1980's and since the old model 94 was new in 1974 it has shot tight groups and dropped many deer with the 150-170gr bullets
I have the gun zeroed for 250 yards..
Buddy took his first buck at 300+ with that gun and a slow slow 150gr hand load.

Now i got my 10fp .308 and read that the faster twist 1:10 liked longer bullets and would stabilize heavier bullets well.

With that in mind i got the 180 game king with a .501 BC i figured i would have a great load.
150 bullets later and a best group of 2.5" i gave up on that bullet and got the 165 gk the spitzer and the HP.

The HP did best...It had the longest bearing surface of all of them.
Got a great load worked up and a couple years later i got a crony...
Played with faster lighter and heavier loads but accuracy was not there..

I am now back to the 165GK HPBT care less of the speed...Accuracy is there and it holds it out to good long hunting ranges better than any load i tried.
It likes once fired or even 7 times fired winchester brass.F-C or R-P brass blows the groups.
Don't get caught up in speed ...Accuracy rules.
Of course we all know that. Here is the hunting load i use in my 10fp..actually the only load i use now.
2550fps could possibly be improved upon with your 26" barrel,, If you want to try and ink a few fps more i would possibly look at Ramshot Hunter powder with that 180gr pill.
View attachment 33863

Last edited:

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry i may have been thinking ramshot and 30-06..
Have you tried varget or 4064 or BL-C 2 I had some extremely good loads with the BL-C(2) and my .308

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am now back to the 165GK HPBT care less of the speed...Accuracy is there and it holds it out to good long hunting ranges better than any load i tried.
View attachment 33863

Yep, Sierra 165 Grain HPBT, is an incredible deer round. Destroys the innards of a deer. Turns them into mush. Dammed accurate as well.

Elk, I use the Barnes 165 grain TTSX from the 30-06.

IMR-4350 for the sierra, and Reloader 17 for the Barnes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom