What should my next .357mag Smith and Wesson be?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several years ago I owned two 6" Colt Pythons, one was blue that I shot occasionally and the other was nickel plated that I kept as a unfired safe queen......sold both for pretty good $$$.

Anyway, I also had a older no lock S & W 6" model 686 (also gone) about the same time that when rested on bags would consistently out shoot the blued 6" Python.......if another used pre-lock 6" 686 became available for a decent price I'd find it pretty difficult to not purchase it.

View attachment 203494

I need one of these. In fact I am looking for one. Not very hard, but I am looking.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My 637 and 442 are pre lock. I was recently looking at a 329 and started looking for a way to remove the lock from it if I bought it. I found this guy’s website.
https://www.originalprecision.com/lock-delete-kit.html
Not sure why the lock worries everyone. I’ve had my S&W 340 for about 10 years and fired all kinds of ammo thru it without issue. I realize it “could” fail but I suspect that’s more of a gun forum discussion than a real problem. Anyone here experienced an actual problem caused by the lock?

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget when you get your 686 to get the deluxe one:
IMG_20200823_113835.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure why the lock worries everyone. I’ve had my S&W 340 for about 10 years and fired all kinds of ammo thru it without issue. I realize it “could” fail but I suspect that’s more of a gun forum discussion than a real problem. Anyone here experienced an actual problem caused by the lock?
I’ve read of problems online, but I’ve never owned a Smith with a lock so have no personal experience. I’m not so much concerned about a malfunction. I just don’t like the “look” of it. If I do end up with a gun with a lock, I will definitely buy the delete/plug to fill the hole.:anyone:

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What’s the reason? i was probably going to mainly shoot 38spl

Until the most recent iterations, the K frame revolvers had a flat spot at the bottom of the forcing cone. There is documented history of extensive firing of high-velocity 357 ammo causing a crack at that location. This is one of the reasons that the L frame was developed. Stick with 158 grain and heavier and you will be fine. 38 and 38+P are fine, regardless of bullet weight.

A web search will give you many examples. The Revolverguy blog has a pretty good write-up here:
The Smith & Wesson L-Frame Story

Latest posts

Top Bottom