what3words location app, looks pretty cool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This has been out for a few years and I've read a few articles that emergency services have used it to find people.
They made a 3 meter grid over the entire planet and you can describe any square with 3 words, much easier than trying to use latitude and longitude if you're in a jam.
Sounds like a great idea for hunters, hikers, even just being out on the highway.
I just installed it on my phone.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/apps/a28912218/three-words-coordinates/

Here's some cons of the system, most of then I don't seem to care about. At the end of the video he has some good suggestions for improvements.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty nifty. Seems it is a good start, but most likely will have some improvements before it is ready for prime time. Yep unfortunately many people will manufacture in their minds ways to get offended with what ever words or numbers might be used.

It is concerning that many parts of using this system is GPS dependent. Seems way too many of our essential navigation items, aviation, shipping, driving, many others are putting all their eggs in one GPS basket with no backups in case someone or some country who owns the majority of the GPS satellites decided to flip off that switch. (Hint, most GPS sats are not USA owned)

In most cases the old standby individual terrestrial navigation systems are being decommissioned, phased out, and shut down, like VOR aircraft navigation systems for example.

Guess we will go back to the days of compass and stopwatch where we started if that were to happen. I do hope I am not at 36,000 ft and fogged over on the ground where we might be landing at that time.

Thanks for posting this. I will research more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom