Whatever happened to . . . ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbok1947

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saturday night specials. Back in the 70s when I was working for the newspaper as a crime reporter I saw these cheap junky handguns all the time made by companies like Rohn/RG, H&R, etc. They were usually in calibers from .22 to .32 and cost something like $30-$75 new. I must have covered a hundred or more homicides and ten times that many shootings involving SNS's, and cops I knew were always taking them off people on the street. With some it was amazing that they even fired; I remember one night two guys were playing dominoes at an eastside bar and one got mad and pulled his SNS and shot the other guy from about three feet right between the eyes. We all gathered around waiting for him to fall over dead until the ambulance guys plucked the bullet out of his skin; it had not penetrated the skull. When one of the officers unloaded the cheapo revolver he had to pry the rounds out of the cyclinder with a pocket knife; they were green with mold.

These days all you hear about are Glocks and nines and so forth, even (maybe especially) among gangbangers. I'm sure there are some law enforcement officers on this forum. Is that what you are seizing from street thugs these days? They have sure upgraded their weaponry, but I sometimes wonder how many thousands of those old Rohm .22s are gathering dust in closets.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SNS were pretty much banned (at least imported models) a long time ago.

Today, there are plenty of cheap guns that are barely larger than the old SNS. Bryco, Jennings and the like. Hi Point if you always wanted a Planet of the Apes pistol.

Jupiter Fulminator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Today, there are plenty of cheap guns that are barely larger than the old SNS. Bryco, Jennings and the like. Hi Point if you always wanted a Planet of the Apes pistol.
There ya go. Jennings, Bryco, Davis, Jimenez, Lorcin, Raven, Cobra--each one American made, with pride.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There ya go. Jennings, Bryco, Davis, Jimenez, Lorcin, Raven, Cobra--each one American made, with pride.

True enough. And they DO tend to work better than the old SNS. Somewhere in a dresser I've got an old FIE .25acp. It is truly a piece of garbage. BUT, it's tiny.

The newer ones work "better", but that's kinda like being the World's Tallest Midget. Doesn't exactly make you an NBA superstar!

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Yep, 68 Gun Control Act. That's why you see some obvious concealed carry imports with target grips and adjustable target sights, because it works on a points system. IIRC, an Austrian G-26 can be imported with a fixed sight because its a 9mm, but the 25 would require an adjustable because its a .380.

Latest posts

Top Bottom