what's the deal w/shortmags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok guys, NOT trying to start a caliber war. Just trying to learn about something that I haven't been around and don't know about.
What is the advantage of a short magnum over a conventional magnum cartridge?
I have a5.56mm, .308 WIN, 30-06, 300 Winmag, and a 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird, and just by studying the balistic charts, I don't see anything that can be done w/ a short mag that I can't do w/ one of these.
I HAVE NOT shot, or been around ANY short mags. I am looking for enlightenment from the learned. Any discussion is welcomed.:uhwhat:

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short action on your bolt gun will lead to faster follow up shots and theoretically a stronger receiver. There is also the concept of the fatter column of powder giving a more consistent burn and therefore better accuracy and even less recoil due to a more efficient use of powder. IMHO, I think all of those effects are overblown.

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Short action on your bolt gun will lead to faster follow up shots and theoretically a stronger receiver. There is also the concept of the fatter column of powder giving a more consistent burn and therefore better accuracy and even less recoil due to a more efficient use of powder. IMHO, I think all of those effects are overblown.

Thanks Dude, I think I'm beginning to get part of the concept.:Heya:

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Short mags are designed to acheive the advertised velocities from a 22" rather than a 26' barrel. Hence the more effecient burn from a short fat cartridge. Thats my understanding anyway. I have a 7mm WSM that I use for deer and I couldn't be happier.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I suspect lots of marketing hype to sell new and "improved " rifles.
That said I think a 6.5 short mag. would kick arse.
And it would be a great way to get to know your gunsmith / barrel changer on a first name basis

Latest posts

Top Bottom