what's the deal w/shortmags?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
short mags are just a way to boost sagging bolt gun sales.
sales down- introduce something new that everybody has to try.
they did it with fiberglass stocks, detach mags, photo camo etc. over the years. Imho.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
short mags are just a way to boost sagging bolt gun sales.
sales down- introduce something new that everybody has to try.
they did it with fiberglass stocks, detach mags, photo camo etc. over the years. Imho.

The problem with introducing all of these new cartridges though, unlike some of the other "gimmicks", is that in a few years most of these cartridges will be obsolete. So unless you are a reloader or like paying a ton of money for your ammo, you'll just have a rifle to look pretty hanging on the wall. It really seems like most of the WSSM's are already almost dead.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The panic that swept the country after the election has diverted lots of gun money to self defense weapons and ammo, leaving the long gun market sucking wind. The short stuff was not doing well in sales, even before this.

The performance gains from the short cartridges are marginal to so-so, not enough to bring a large following. So, the long term availability of ammo will be expensive, scarce, and very limited in variety.

Reloading is the only salvation for the person who plans to shoot more than a few rounds per season. I had initially thought to pick up at least one such rifle, but now have decided that if I need a little more performance, (in some calibers that like it) I will Go the Ackley Improved route. A "blast" from the past that, again only in certain calibers, offers similar ballistic improvement and allows the use of standard ammo that fireforms on the first shot. It does require a little more powder, but not enough to break the bank, and case life is extended tremendously.

I wonder about the recoil claims for the short cartridges. Lots of stuff has to get through a relatively small outlet pretty quick. That would appear to make for a real short peak impulse, which would translate to more felt recoil. CB

LtCCMPUnit42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with introducing all of these new cartridges though, unlike some of the other "gimmicks", is that in a few years most of these cartridges will be obsolete. So unless you are a reloader or like paying a ton of money for your ammo, you'll just have a rifle to look pretty hanging on the wall. It really seems like most of the WSSM's are already almost dead.

That's why I like the .30 cals. They seem to hang on, no matter ehat the fads are. I will have to admit that Warbird brass is pretty expensive though.:gun2:

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That's why I like the .30 cals. They seem to hang on, no matter ehat the fads are. I will have to admit that Warbird brass is pretty expensive though.:gun2:

I have one thats 110yrs young, 7X57, it still kicks butt. The rifle is a Ruger #1RSI. Until they come up with something better, I'm sure the 7X57 will probably still be around for a little longer, as will my 30-06's!!

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
WSM's/WSSM's ?????????? A marketing ploy by a dying company,,,,,, that died anyway!

"Marketing ploy" that has been followed by Remington, Ruger, and Thompson Center, Marlin....surely I'm leaving someone out. Kinda funny that I can find WSM ammo on the shelf at any store I walk into, but I can't say the same about the Remington saum, Ruger RCM or Thompson center's .30TC

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Marketing ploy" that has been followed by Remington, Ruger, and Thompson Center, Marlin....surely I'm leaving someone out. Kinda funny that I can find WSM ammo on the shelf at any store I walk into, but I can't say the same about the Remington saum, Ruger RCM or Thompson center's .30TC

Weatherby, Howa, Sako, Savage and how about Winchester? :thumb:

I'm sure there are more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom