What's your favorite cleaning method/solvents/lubes etc??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phezzik

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Slip 2000. I used Hoppes since I was a kid, but two years ago I switched to Slip 2000 in my shop when I got a bunch of samples from the dealer, and I haven't looked back. This stuff is phenomenal. They do everything from heavy carbon buildup (after soaking all you have to do is wipe it off) to lubrication, and its the oil we ran on all our full autos. I see a lot of motor oils and WD-40's on here, which is weird to me because we were taught to never touch that stuff in gunsmithing school, yet since graduating I've met more people than I can count who have been using the stuff for decades. I say if it works, go for it. Damn the wet rags back at school who scorned us for bringing it up.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are you guys storing your cleaning stuff like jags and brushes and such

All mine are tossed on an old metal first aid box and disorganized. I need change.

Rods are one piece pro shots and hang in garage

Thinking Plano tackle box or something

TheLastDaze

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yeah I have my shoddy cleaning supplies in an old metal tackle box... I need some new bore brushes and such, I'm thinking nylon opposed to copper/metal..

slip 2000 check...

the cylinders are a little hard to clean, I know elbow grease works good...

Grindstone

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

All mine are tossed on an old metal first aid box and disorganized. I need change.

I have my brushes in a glass jar. My jags are still in the organization box they came with, Hoppe's multi-cal set. Rod, lubes, brush jar, jag set, rags, gloves, etc are all in a .50 cal can. I bought a 1000 pk of patches that I put in an empty beef jerky container. Only cleaning supply not stored as such is my 32oz bottle of Hoppe's sovlent.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Red's mixture is the best cleaner for the money you can get in my view. I have gone through 2 quarts of it so far with my mosins, and rimfires with the kind of results that make me :woohoo1:

If you need the mixture I can post the link or give it to you myself.

moller72

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score

I cut a 2x4 about 10" long and drilled little holes for the male screw in part to fit and have them lined up by caliber.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Red's mixture is the best cleaner for the money you can get in my view.
It's good stuff - and if you need extra copper removal capability all you have to do is add a few more ingredients:

11 ounces of basic Ed's Red
2 ounces of 10%-20% industrial strength ammonia
2 ounces of Rustlick WS-11 cutting oil or suitable alternative
1 ounce of Murphy's Oil Soap

Latest posts

Top Bottom