What's your rifle weather looking like?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All I ask for is that the roads be too muddy to drive on for the entire the two weeks.

Do not envy you guys out west with section lines and flat country. If you want to poach in my area, you at least have to get out of your truck and burn some boot leather most times.

Only a tiny bit of the property even fronts a road, and the other guy who lives on that road put up a sign that says "No Huntin' - Video Surveillance" the other day. We ran into some rednecks driving that road on opening weekend once and they gave some him haw story about driving around seeing if the deer were moving. It's a public road, but only two properties are on it. I wish all road hunters and poachers would shoot a hole in their foot and their transmission.

I also love getting in my stand WELL before first light even begins to break on opening day and hearing rifle shots. What the hell are these people doing? I'm guessing they're pulling up to their spots, seeing a deer in the headlights, and shooting. Or they're having accidental discharges trying to load a borrowed rifle they've never shot in the dark. Gotta love yahoo season. I always defend hunting as a safe sport, and it is, but it seriously does amaze me that more "hunters" aren't hurt during the first week of rifle.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do not envy you guys out west with section lines and flat country. If you want to poach in my area, you at least have to get out of your truck and burn some boot leather most times.

Only a tiny bit of the property even fronts a road, and the other guy who lives on that road put up a sign that says "No Huntin' - Video Surveillance" the other day. We ran into some rednecks driving that road on opening weekend once and they gave some him haw story about driving around seeing if the deer were moving. It's a public road, but only two properties are on it. I wish all road hunters and poachers would shoot a hole in their foot and their transmission.

I also love getting in my stand WELL before first light even begins to break on opening day and hearing rifle shots. What the hell are these people doing? I'm guessing they're pulling up to their spots, seeing a deer in the headlights, and shooting. Or they're having accidental discharges trying to load a borrowed rifle they've never shot in the dark. Gotta love yahoo season. I always defend hunting as a safe sport, and it is, but it seriously does amaze me that more "hunters" aren't hurt during the first week of rifle.

Been a few seasons in the 14 years I've been huntingnin OK where I just get settled into our ground blind/stand and a deer walks by at about 15 yards. It is so dark all you can make out is a some type of deer shape. The next thing you hear is a gunshot off in the distance and think to yourself, WTF!!! Unfortunately or area is fairly remote so the chances of the GW nailing them is nil.

I am looking forward to finally digging out my cold/er weather gear. My boy and I are heading out tomorrow afternoon for Sapulpa. Lots of organizing on Thursday. My son is very excited as last year he used his H&R single shot .243. This year he is stepping up to a bolt gun (Savage, I think) .257 Roberts with a youth stock. Gonna be a great season.

Jeremy1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been a few seasons in the 14 years I've been huntingnin OK where I just get settled into our ground blind/stand and a deer walks by at about 15 yards. It is so dark all you can make out is a some type of deer shape. The next thing you hear is a gunshot off in the distance and think to yourself, WTF!!! Unfortunately or area is fairly remote so the chances of the GW nailing them is nil.

I am looking forward to finally digging out my cold/er weather gear. My boy and I are heading out tomorrow afternoon for Sapulpa. Lots of organizing on Thursday. My son is very excited as last year he used his H&R single shot .243. This year he is stepping up to a bolt gun (Savage, I think) .257 Roberts with a youth stock. Gonna be a great season.

I have stood next to the game warden on one occassion where he was looking at his watch and listening for early gunshots. I have also had this happen to me too. Been on stand, barley enough light to make out an outline and BANG!!!! Crazy...... Would like to see the wardens run a few of those robo deer deals to catch folks shooting from the roads and such....

Bluewing

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i will be in the stand (treehouse) at least an hour before sunrise east of muskogee in the river bottoms. Love it when it gets cold. All the animals start moving and i sometimes get to see a lot of different "critters". Plus deer. this is the first year i have had a decent camera to take with me. I will be taking my 8 year old grandson. he will be my observer this year. I don't know who is more excited......me or him.

victor3ranger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put my heater in my tower blind this past weekend, I hope it is cold enough to use it and no wind.

The high winds seem to be more of a problem than anything else where I hunt, it will lock them down in a hurry.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me, looks to be a little chilly and damp. I don't mind the cold temps. I can actually tolerate and like the coldness as long as the wind is calm and its not wet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom