Looking for hunting area

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll stick to public land. By the time you figure in lease costs in addition to other costs (food, camper), you might as well be buying it from the store. It would be cheaper.
I’ve said for years that I would be better off financially to eat top shelf beef steak every day than to deer hunt, but I still deer hunt. :anyone:

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was just on a TX hunting message board, and evidently, lease prices have gone up in Oklahoma. It appears $15/acres is the new going rate. :anyone:

In the past couple of years I've had the odd experience of people knocking on my door asking to lease my land for hunting, some offering $15 to $17 an acre. Never would have thought it.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering also, was it $5000 per person or $5k total for all four? If it is per person, WOW!
If I understood right, the guy is trying to sublease 320 acres@$15/acre with a maximum of 3 people, so that would be $1600/person.
The guy revamped his ad, but he still can’t tell you if there’s even any deer on the place. My guess is that he’s never seen it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
but he still can’t tell you if there’s even any deer on the place. My guess is that he’s never seen it.
Certainly some of that going on. We have a remote 80 that is leased for farming. Went by there one winter to pheasant hunt it and saw 4 guys walking out with a pheasant in hand.
Asked them if they knew who’s land they were on.
One guy said they had it leased for hunting and pulled out a copy of a contract that had the proper location on it, so called the GW and Sheriff to get this sorted out.
I felt there was a mistake but it wasn’t their fault so there was no silliness like an arse chewing. We just waited and visited until the GW showed up, deputy never did as he had to work something more serious.
The GW was aware of a guy in Enid that got county plat maps, did some research to find out who was an absentee owner and leased it out to anyone with cash.
They eventually located and busted him.
The guys that thought they had a lease lost their money.
So, folks that are leasing for hunting, do your homework before handing over cash

Latest posts

Top Bottom