When will they fire Gundy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gundy nor anyone else will win a national championship at OSU unless it’s pure dumb luck in one freaky weird year. No coach will ever be able to recruit enough of that level of talent there due to its location. If Gundy went to a larger school in a location that was more urban he well might. He’s a good coach.
The only thing OSU has in its pocket is if OU starts getting demolished in the SEC. I’m a Sooner fan, but they will get demolished for a year or two. Recruits might see OSU as a better opportunity to play for a winning team. Gundy is a good coach I agree. But I stand by what I said. He will never take OSU to a National Championship level. He needs to move on.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gundy will be at OSU until he WANTS to retire. I think many of OSU people forget why he was hired. Run a clean program, have a winning season and go to a bowl game, every year. He does that. State doesn't have the deep pockets or tradition in football that OU or Texas has, to name a few. OSU is a middle of the pack program. Sure they will have times of greatness, but year in and year out on average they are middle of the road. Now I'm not an OU homer, actually an OSU Alum. But I came to this realization many years ago.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a fact. The smaller college towns (Stillwater, Manhattan, Ames) are going to play hell getting 5 star recruits to commit there. Goes for Lubbock, too.

Now, as for OU and recruiting, they have traditionally done a fantastic job. But the last National Championship they won was with Bob Stoops as the HC - and he did it with mostly John Blake's recruits, if I have it right. As good as he was/is, I don't believe he ever made it back with all of his own recruits. And OU has had some incredible classes.
Manhattan is great that’s where my granny lived.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Gundy will be at OSU until he WANTS to retire. I think many of OSU people forget why he was hired. Run a clean program, have a winning season and go to a bowl game, every year. He does that. State doesn't have the deep pockets or tradition in football that OU or Texas has, to name a few. OSU is a middle of the pack program. Sure they will have times of greatness, but year in and year out on average they are middle of the road. Now I'm not an OU homer, actually an OSU Alum. But I came to this realization many years ago.
Exactly. No one really expects OSU to compete for a national championship but they had a very good year. I was more disappointed last year with some games they lost and shouldn’t have. Gundy is making bank at OSU and content to be there. Apparently the school is too since they just renewed his contract. Some coaches have no loyalty and jump ship at the first opportunity when things aren’t going their way. OSU doesn’t have the location or deep pockets to recruit the best players. They also don’t start screaming they are number 1 and their QB is a Heisman contender every year. We will just enjoy this year’s win and hope they win the bowl game. It could have been the year but for about 6 inches. They didn’t deserve to win yesterday and if they don’t fix the offensive mistakes they won’t beat Notre Dame either.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Spot on! I grew up being an OSU fan with the 1-2 win seasons, I will take this anytime.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing OSU has in its pocket is if OU starts getting demolished in the SEC. I’m a Sooner fan, but they will get demolished for a year or two. Recruits might see OSU as a better opportunity to play for a winning team. Gundy is a good coach I agree. But I stand by what I said. He will never take OSU to a National Championship level. He needs to move on.
Why does he need to move on? He seems to be doing the job they are paying him to do. His players seem to like him, his bosses seem to like him. If you are saying he should move on because he could do better at another school, I can agree with that, but he seems content there from all appearance as do his bosses. I don't think any other coach is going to improve much in the OSU football program, it just seems to be running fine at it's "capacity". Gundy has bested ALL of his predecessor's win record. I'm just saying that he's taken OSU as far as it's going to go and is maintaining that level, so why make a change? I'm an OU fan also, but I'm happy that he's carved out a really nice life for himself there and I don't blame him a bit for hanging on to nurture a program he loves.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They need to fire Gundy, the most succeful coach they have had. So then any decent coach they can get bail after a few years. Then get in that find fire/coach cycle again, no thanks. Has not worked out too well for a few schools that have won national championships.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why does he need to move on? He seems to be doing the job they are paying him to do. His players seem to like him, his bosses seem to like him. If you are saying he should move on because he could do better at another school, I can agree with that, but he seems content there from all appearance as do his bosses. I don't think any other coach is going to improve much in the OSU football program, it just seems to be running fine at it's "capacity". Gundy has bested ALL of his predecessor's win record. I'm just saying that he's taken OSU as far as it's going to go and is maintaining that level, so why make a change? I'm an OU fan also, but I'm happy that he's carved out a really nice life for himself there and I don't blame him a bit for hanging on to nurture a program he loves.
Well maybe some folks think mediocre is okay. I’m telling you. College football is a big money industry. At some point the fans, the admin, and the alumni will get disgruntled with “okay”, “good”, “mediocre” seasons and this guy will be sent packing. Having said that. They had a great season this year. That hasn’t been the case in past years.

Latest posts

Top Bottom