Where are all the guys who tried to join but were told they were medically unable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was going to lie about it and my buddy who was already in told me my bad knee would surface before the first week of basic training was over... I hadnt considered that.

I could see that...but Asthma - especially for those who had not had issues in a year or more...I don't see a need to bar them from enlistment. But that's my opinion. A bad knee - especially an ACL repair or reconstruction would definitely surface or probably get caught

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was contacted by a Marine recruiter, after high school, about joining and becoming a pilot.

The last conversation we had, I told him that I would contact him after I got out of the hospital from knee surgery, and he said, sorry, we can't use you.

I still wish that I could have joined. I never have been able to fulfill my dream of being a pilot.

I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I nearly joined the Marines... the recruiter wasn't all that excited about me, though. I was working as a security guard at the hospital and was thinking about joining up as an MP. At the same time was becoming interested in the medical field, due to my work at the hosp. He got me to go up for MEPS (is that what it's called?) where we go through the medical screening stuff? Anyways, I was a few pounds over the limit, like 12 or something. Then I took the ASVAB, which I had blown off in high school. Suddenly the recruiter was all pissed off, asking me why I didn't tell him I was smart or something, blah blah blah. I guess I did well on the test. Suddenly he was pushing me to sign up right away, he was calling me every single day, trying to get me into a Military Intelligence spot he had.... told me to start running every morning with my body wrapped in Saran Wrap and wearing 2 or 3 pairs of sweats.

I decided that wasn't for me.

hipshot

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tried the Marine Corp, They wouldn't accept me without a high school diploma (10th grade dropout) So my recruiter referred me to the Navy which was the next desk over in that office. I got everything ready and went to Take my physical in Amarillo Texas, When I took the hearing test they realized I was almost deaf in my left ear and rejected me, I waited about 3 months and went back again and Dr. Levy (will never forget that name because he only had one eyebrow that went all the way across his forehead and he shook my hand then told me to turn my head and cough without washing up and I was 3rd in line!!!!) He told me to quit wasting my time and thiers because I wasn't getting in. I am the only male member of my family in several generations that didn't get to serve:crying:

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I have asthma, and at 32, it's still nearly a daily issue for me, so, as much as I would like to have been in the military, they had no use for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom