Where are all the guys who tried to join but were told they were medically unable?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me and a friend went to join the navy, right out of high school. Randy got in. He just retired about 6 months ago after almost 30 years. I was rejected because of Type 1 Insulin Dependant Diabetes.

coveyjt

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is a dishonorable discharge and possible emprisonment for Fraud.

The Marine recruiter had me step outside with him to speak "off the record". He said to not mention it. I asked what would happen if I was at Quantico and had an attack, that is when he said I would recieve a DD and possible jail time. I told him that I couldn't chance that. I had not had an attack in probably 10 years at the time, but that was here, who knows what would happen depending on where they sent me. NOT WORTH THE CHANCE!!!

It would depend on the Commander. We had an Airman that during the course of his security investigation discovered he had done meth. He was a good kid that wanted to change his life so he joined the Air Force. But he lied on the entry documents. He was discharged with a General discharge for not being able to get a security clearance. No disciplinary actions what so ever. But of course he had his supervisor, section chief and flight chief (me) backing him up.

bulbboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trolling in this thread shows your true character

I give it up to you guys. I never wanted to join up but just like my dad (drafted for Vietnam) if called would serve proudly.

Zombie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
from experience I was told to lie about asthma - I have seen people "develop" it in basic, and after the fact and kept in....I only have met one person kicked out for fraudulent enlistment and that was because he put more on his criminal record for background check and security clearance than could be proven. The difference came because the initial paperwork had less on it than the renewal.

The military should not disqualify asthma because I swear some docs just use it as a general excuse.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Trolling in this thread shows your true character

I give it up to you guys. I never wanted to join up but just like my dad (drafted for Vietnam) if called would serve proudly.

Lots of underlying truth right here. Not everyone is meant for service.

Being a Marine was what I truly wanted after high school. But I was bright enough to know that the chances of lieing and possibly destroying my resume in the future was not worth even the slightest risk.

Trolls will be trolls and for them to knock those that didn't or couldn't serve shows true color. I guess we just can't call ourselves men and should give up all our guns and man toys.........

C

Clay

from experience I was told to lie about asthma - I have seen people "develop" it in basic, and after the fact and kept in....I only have met one person kicked out for fraudulent enlistment and that was because he put more on his criminal record for background check and security clearance than could be proven. The difference came because the initial paperwork had less on it than the renewal.

The military should not disqualify asthma because I swear some docs just use it as a general excuse.
I was going to lie about it and my buddy who was already in told me my bad knee would surface before the first week of basic training was over... I hadnt considered that.

B96brig4CC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

As a child mine was truly debilitating. Spent more time in the hospital with severe attacks than I care to remember. Mine was labeled chronic asthma. Even to this day I have mild cases of my breathing being restricted from weed eating my yard. More than capable of meeting the requirements, but with my luck I would be shipped off to some part of the world that might just kill me cardio wise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom