Where have you gone that is the farthest from home?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowbaby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At some turnstiles with AK-47s drawn at my head somewhere on a ferry between a place called Kowloon Hong Kong and Mainland China before you were allowed entry in the 80s.

I had paid a nickle to ride a ferry to Kowloon and only half the people got off so I thought it was fun and gave them another nickles worth. I did not know the next stop was to the Chinese mainland. Me in dress whites and them with the AKs made it point blank clear I was not welcome to enter and it wasn't happening when I tried to turn the bar of the turnstiles like the rest of the people.

I remember thinking the next day how this dumb Midwestern kid had somehow successfully managed to get as far away from his home as physically possible. At least that is what they used to say, if you dug a hole you would end up in China. I got on my hands and knees and kissed the ground when I got back home 1 1/2 years later after circumnavigating the globe and said never again.

Just another day aboard CGN-36 USS California.

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once I was on the USS Missouri and saw where the Japanese signed the surrender. That was in Bremerton. I was a teenager at the time.
What year was that? Around 1977? Might have been the same ship. I can't remember. I thought it was Portland but it could have been Bremerton, Washington

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Born and raised in Oklahoma and have lived here with the exception of a 9 year span from 1995-2004 living in Arizona and NM.

Farthest I've traveled from home was to Nome, Alaska . . .
Nome, Sweet Nome. Best entertainment in Nome on the weekends was watching the train wrecks coming out of the Board of Trade Saloon. The Front Street follies that extended from there to the Breakers Bar and over to the Polaris was something to behold.

Farmer925

Marksman
Reaction score
Banff Canada, Carlisle England, Paris France, Juarez Mexico, San Digeo, California (Oldest son graduation from Marine Bootcamp, and Hartford, CT
Always ended back in home country here in Oklahoma. England was a blast with the Brits, Paris is kind of a fogged memory and Canadian friends in Banff claimed me as an honorary Canadian.......... You never know where life and fate will take you and the great people you meet when you travel for work or business...

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nome, Sweet Nome. Best entertainment in Nome on the weekends was watching the train wrecks coming out of the Board of Trade Saloon. The Front Street follies that extended from there to the Breakers Bar and over to the Polaris was something to behold.
Definitely met some interesting folks there . . .

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Once I was on the USS Missouri and saw where the Japanese signed the surrender. That was in Bremerton. I was a teenager at the time.
I had that same experience in Honolulu. The Missouri was moored down the row from the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial. I found it very interesting the beginning and the end of WWII was so close together physically. I also was captivated by the reverence the members of the Japanese Navy were displaying aboard the Arizona and Missouri.
DSCN3303.JPG

DSCN3299.JPG
DSCN3300.JPG
DSCN3301.JPG
DSCN3310.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom