Where there is smoke... A public service announcement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
There might be fire.

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE, if anyone anytime smells smoke, PLEASE investigate!

What an odd occurrence! I really wonder if I didn't find this, and there were flammable materials close, (there were none) and there was a fire they would never have figured out the exact cause and probably would have called it electrical.

Now for the story.
I was working in my shop today, cleaning the table saw with a vacuum debating on how to install a bigger fence and anti kick back rollers. The sun was going down and was really getting bright around 5 p.m. I was moving around inside the shop and on occasion I smelled smoke. It smelled like electrical smoke when a wire or cord gets hot. Since I have been rearranging tools and things I assumed I had a hot cord or motor somewhere but nothing was turned on. except for the vacuum and I had shut it off 5 minutes ago.

I checked the vac and the cord and the extension cord it was plugged into. I then went toward the workbench and I really got a strong whiff of it about the middle of the bench. I unplugged everything and shut off all the lights and still got a strong smell of smoke every now and then. I noticed the smell was only by the middle of the bench and nowhere else. I searched and searched for something plugged in, NOTHING!

It was at this time when I looked down and to my surprise, saw a little twirl of smoke coming from under the bench on a shelf where there is nothing electrical. In disbelief, I looked under the bench and saw this.

smoke 1.jpg

If you look above the yellow vice, you will see a tiny smoke trail.

Staring at this I notice a really bright spot of light on the yellow vice. then I see this.

smoke 2.jpg

Well I'll be! My electronics third hand helper with MAGNIFYING GLASS is trying to burn my house down!

Here is the trail on the plastic vice from the sun's track burning the plastic while I was tracking down the cause of the smell.

smoke 3.jpg

Folks, if you smell something, investigate it! There is always a cause!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've heard broken glass bottles can start fires in dry grass like that. Don't know if it's true though.
It is. We lost half a wheat field crop because of a broken Coke bottle. It was just a perfect placement for the fire. The wind was blowing just hard enough to fan the flames away from the bottle. Dad said not to touch the bottle so we could verify the sun's rays hitting the straw the next day.

It worked, and the insurance guy from Farm Bureau was there to witness it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom