Where to buy an engine? builder reviews? opnions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahahaha, I betcha there isn't a single FORD part on 10.5 outlaw car ....

OP: I'd stick a modern engine in it - if it has to be a ford - 4v or 3v. BTW I have both pullouts at my shop 32V all aluminum 4.6 and 2005 Mustang GT parts car with 4.6 3V in it. My contact info is in the sig.

P.S. All my toys get LS-style motors, yes including Fords :P

You can let Mike Murillo know that the BBF engine in his Mustang isn't a Ford. Or you can let Mark Luton know that his 5.4 mod motor isn't a Ford. The mod motor guys are running factory blocks and heads, granted they have been worked over. Probably not any Chevy guys doing that. I can keep going. Are there any non-Ford aftermarket hard parts like blocks and heads even available for the mod motors?

slade1

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bring the knowledge wrench guys. My wife & I talk about getting her 72 Ford pickup back to a reliable driver many times & I have wondered the same thing - rebuild or replace?

Purchasing an engine is almost always a compromise, the only real benefit it saving time usually. Same for the transmission. If you build you can get what you want without compromise. However, building will almost always cost more to do and you must find a reputable builder if you're not able to do the work. This is one area your can throw a ton of money into and get really poor results if you don't do some research.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can let Mike Murillo know that the BBF engine in his Mustang isn't a Ford. Or you can let Mark Luton know that his 5.4 mod motor isn't a Ford. The mod motor guys are running factory blocks and heads, granted they have been worked over. Probably not any Chevy guys doing that. I can keep going. Are there any non-Ford aftermarket hard parts like blocks and heads even available for the mod motors?

Mike Murillo knows, but I'll let you know that RDI aluminum block didin't come from Ford ... nothing on Murillo's car came from Ford but the badge; you can put "H" on it and call it Honda Mustang if you cared.

Indeed mod blocks are extremely strong - but that's really about it. You are stuck with displacement and HORRIBLE head design. You can make anything fast - just get ready to pay twice like Pumpkin said.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mike Murillo knows, but I'll let you know that RDI aluminum block didin't come from Ford ... nothing on Murillo's car came from Ford but the badge; you can put "H" on it and call it Honda Mustang if you cared.

Indeed mod blocks are extremely strong - but that's really about it. You are stuck with displacement and HORRIBLE head design. You can make anything fast - just get ready to pay twice like Pumpkin said.

Do you really even know what you're talking about? Mark Luton's car is just back halved. It's got 100% of the Ford sheet metal body parts on it. No aluminum, no carbon fiber. It's still got the stock strut towers. He's running a mod motor with Ford factory block and heads. What engine dominates the Texas mile? Ford DOHC mod motors. It's not twice as expensive. It's probably less expensive when everything is considered.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you really even know what you're talking about? Mark Luton's car is just back halved. It's got 100% of the Ford sheet metal body parts on it. No aluminum, no carbon fiber. It's still got the stock strut towers. He's running a mod motor with Ford factory block and heads. What engine dominates the Texas mile? Ford DOHC mod motors. It's not twice as expensive. It's probably less expensive when everything is considered.

dohc motors ARE expensive. especially the ford dohc mod motor. do you even know what your talking about? who rules the texas mile? doesn't look like ford to me. lol http://www.texasmile.net/pdf/March 25-27_2011FastSpeedsAuto_053111.pdf
http://www.texasmile.net/results.php

the lsx platform DOMINATES the ford mod motors.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will say... The word STROKER sounds quite a bit cooler when telling the guys at the car show what you have under the hood
lol and what do you say when it doesnt perform well? im telling ya. 5.3 all the way. it will be well worth it in the end. all these die hard ford fanboys cant stand it. personally i have a shitbox dodge omni glh turbo for a toy. 2.5L with a stratus 2.4L head. fully balanced engine. forged internals. holset hx35 turbo. gonna be fun. should i call it a stroker cuz it sounds cool?

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dohc motors ARE expensive. especially the ford dohc mod motor. do you even know what your talking about? who rules the texas mile? doesn't look like ford to me. lol http://www.texasmile.net/pdf/March 25-27_2011FastSpeedsAuto_053111.pdf
http://www.texasmile.net/results.php

the lsx platform DOMINATES the ford mod motors.

The world record is held by a Ford GT. You posted old results. The chassis, heads, block, body and interior are all still Ford on the GT that holds the record.

This is all really off topic, but if you're trying to make huge horsepower like this, with a Ford, like the GT or a GT500 Mustang you get to keep and reuse your block, crank and heads. You can spend a lot on machining and cams, which admittedly are expensive, and still be ahead.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Oh, the infamous internet name drop game ... let me guess ...

1) Ford owner?
2) Haven't raced in a few years?
3) Been reading internet about how great that engine on your stand could be?

I personally don't care what the valve cover says - I've been building cars for living for 10 years, anything from Civics to Vipers and Ford GTs. Anything can be made fast. Fast, Reliable, Cheap - pick two.

If you can afford Ford Supercar - awesome! Is it the best quarter million dollar car out there - I don't know. High end Italian cars seem to play the game just as well.

For us mere mortals that money does matter - for every 1000whp Mod motor out there - there are 10 or 20 LSX based ones ...

My vett made 1068whp - the only non-gm parts are pistons, rods, pushrods and fasteners: stock block, crank, heads, cam, intake, valves etc etc etc.

I really don't mean this as a pissing match - just a matter of experience and fact.

You want a challenge - find me a 500whp All Motor mod-powered car. I've never heard of one ... I did have a good dozen LSx do it here on my dyno.

P.S. Mark Fulton's car does have metal panels per class rules - everything else is aluminum and carbon fiber - unlike you stated.

P.P.S. The aluminum bare block in Mark's car is $3600 - LSX is about half that, like mentioned above TWICE THE MONEY.

Latest posts

Top Bottom