Where to buy an engine? builder reviews? opnions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go late model fuel injected with a/c. If your not die hard Ford look into some of the gm packages. How much you want spend would be key.....

I'snt this like putting 9mm in a .40, yes it will shoot by luck, but not the best idea if you like to continue shooting! I think Im just up to late again tonight.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You're going to be so cylinder head limited, the stroker will just bring the rpm range down and make more low end torque.

Even if I go to GT40 heads? I'm kinda planning on scrapping the heads Ive got. The consensus is that the ones I have are not something I'm going to want to keep no matter what direction I want to go

I've seen where some people (at least at one time) liked to put 69-70 351W heads on their 302's. Maybe some old fart on ebay is wanting the set I have?

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say... The word STROKER sounds quite a bit cooler when telling the guys at the car show what you have under the hood

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The GT40 stuff is mild 302 parts. Of course, it's all relative. Some people think they're great. IMO, the are mild for a 302 and totally choke Windsor based stuff. If you have the budget, I'd choose a nice set of ~$1300 aluminum heads. I was just suggesting GT40 stuff for bang for the buck. I'd use the GT40/P heads over a C9/D0 head. You can possibly find some decent local deals on okdhm.com.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, for what this gentleman wants, saying that Fords are twice as expensive and not as reliable is a joke.

As for local Ford's having Chevy motors, must be a local thing. At the national level, like in 10.5 Outlaw, the fastest Mustangs have Ford motors.

Yeah cause most of those guys aren't paying retail for engine parts either.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotta jump in with the LS crowd on this one...
Why make things harder then they have to be? Like said earlier, you can nab a low milage 5.3 for around $500 with the PCM. Toss a decent cam and a tune and you dang near 400hp on a super reliable motor. Or for about a grand you can get a LQ9 (6.0), cam and tune and push 450+ easy. Mounting is nothin and wiring up the injection is stupid simple (literally, like 3 wires). For simplicity toss a TB350 behind it and let it rip!
These have been our main swaps in our jeeps for a while now.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to keep it close to stock, keep the 351w and build it up.
If you want more power along with decent mileage, look at a 302 or 5.0. Maybe add some trick flow heads.

You can also buy crate motors from Summit racing or Jegs with guaranteed HP and cheaper then you can build it your self.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At the national level, like in 10.5 Outlaw, the fastest Mustangs have Ford motors.

Hahahaha, I betcha there isn't a single FORD part on 10.5 outlaw car ....

OP: I'd stick a modern engine in it - if it has to be a ford - 4v or 3v. BTW I have both pullouts at my shop 32V all aluminum 4.6 and 2005 Mustang GT parts car with 4.6 3V in it. My contact info is in the sig.

P.S. All my toys get LS-style motors, yes including Fords :P

Latest posts

Top Bottom