Where to catch carp!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightningkylej

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Get a spot baited with cattle cubes for a few days and then they will come in and feed for most of the warmer hours of the day.
If you are seeing them, then the are probably not feeding.

lightningkylej

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a couple of days of baiting they will find the feed and a little patience to find the time they are feeding is your best bet to catching a boat full. You will find that if they are surfacing, they will not be feeding and vice-versa.

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After a couple of days of baiting they will find the feed and a little patience to find the time they are feeding is your best bet to catching a boat full. You will find that if they are surfacing, they will not be feeding and vice-versa.

I always thought that if they "were" surfacing, they were feeding!!! Thank you for pointing this out - know I know....

MasterBaiter

New to the site!
Reaction score
try the verdigris river to the east,the neosho river to the nw, Oologah lake,or Lake of the Cherokees,and Spavinaw Lake south of you. I think that "catch and realease" of carp is aginst the rules on most Ok.bodies of water,check with your game rangers before you go to make sure. I'm looking for some home made carp bait recipes,will you share any of yours?

Master Carper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have fished all those places and apparently at the wrong times, cause I have never been able to get into the carp and catch any...

Whole canned corn on a small hook...

Wheaties and strawberry Jell-O made into a dough bait...

Wheaties and cherry soda pop made into a dough bait...

I use a dough bait that my Grand Dad showed me how to make well over 30 years ago and I have always said I would never give out his recipe - unless someone took me carp fishing and I caught some...

Before they filled in so much of the area below Grand River Dam and turned it into a golf course, my Grand Dad use to take me fishing there every summer and we ALWAYS caught more carp than we could carry out. We very seldom ever caught one under 7 lbs. and those were some of the best fighting fish I've ever caught. I'd give anything to be able to get back into carp fishing like that again....

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My grandpa used the Wheaty's and vanilla, and we fished at the discharge of the local sewage plant. The plant has been totally rebuilt, and it puts drinking quality water back into the river now, vs, the crap it used to.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't think I would do any catch and realease on carp. They need to die.
My grand pa would take me with some Wheaties Cereal, mixed with vanilla, while fishing below the discharge of the sewer plant into the Arkansas River.

Due to current regs from the Gov,the water currently discharged into the river is of higher quality than what one gets from the tap, so Ponca is really cleaning up the river.

Most eaten fish in the world, boney but good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom