Where to get bluing done?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old man passed away last year and I finally got around to going through his guns. His Winchester 30-30 was left in a gun case and has gotten a little rusty, I brought it home, cleaned, oiled it up but it needs to be re-blued. I want to get it purdied up and give it to my younger brother, who does a good job in the OKC area?

Attachments

• 20220720_175645.jpg
    20220720_175645.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220720_175813.jpg
    20220720_175813.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 0

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My old man passed away last year and I finally got around to going through his guns. His Winchester 30-30 was left in a gun case and has gotten a little rusty, I brought it home, cleaned, oiled it up but it needs to be re-blued. I want to get it purdied up and give it to my younger brother, who does a good job in the OKC area?
Might see if Winchester has a program to refurbish

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check serial number
The finish on receiver looks post 64
If so it's made of winlite and doesnt blue for crap they were flashed with copper and plated. A better alternative would be cerokote or whatever its called.

kirk1978

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check serial number
The finish on receiver looks post 64
If so it's made of winlite and doesnt blue for crap they were flashed with copper and plated. A better alternative would be cerokote or whatever its called.
Good info! I believe he bought it new in the 70's.

Kid Glock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As mentioned above, you may want to refinish with something besides bluing. Depending on what it is (pre-'64 etc.) and how bad current finish (pitting, gouges, etc) is, a binary spray coat ie; Durakote, Cerakote, KG Gunkote, etc. may be worth checking. Not only can it be more durable and corrosion resistant but may also be cheaper and comes in a variety of colors. Since requires no hot chemical tanks, it can be done in a garage or building of most any type in case you want to do yourself or if not, there are lots of folks that are doing it so not hard to find as someone that blues guns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom