Which Oklahoma Sheriffs will NOT help the Federal government in gun confiscation?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not getting it. I'm saying you are putting far too much faith into what is essentially just another elected official in the county structure.

The "Sheriff" has no more authority or power than any other elected official in the county. To expect more is foolish.

Can you show me, in state or county statute, where the county sheriff is empowered to be the final arbiter of all constitutional issues? What Oklahoma statutes give a sheriff the authority to stand against a court order and prevent other LEOs from performing a court ordered action? What law allows a sheriff to decide what he will or will not do? Specifics, not platitudes, please.

That's a serious question, I've been trying to find the legal basis for a sheriff's authority in our state's laws and can't find much beyond 19-516 etc...

Last edited:

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not getting it. I'm saying you are putting far too much faith into what is essentially just another elected official in the county structure.

The "Sheriff" has no more authority or power than any other elected official in the county. To expect more is foolish.

Can you show me, in state or county statute, where the county sheriff is empowered to be the final arbiter of all constitutional issues? What Oklahoma statutes give a sheriff the authority to stand against a court order and prevent other LEOs from performing a court ordered action? What law allows a sheriff to decide what he will or will not do? Specifics, not platitudes, please.

That's a serious question, I've been trying to find the legal basis for a sheriff's authority in our state's laws and can't find much beyond 19-516 etc...

Believe it or not, the Federal government has decided to do illegal or unconstitutional things without a court order and the Sheriff IS the citizen's last hope. The first one that jumps to mind is over certain water rights in Nye County, Nevada. This is the example of Sheriff Tony DeMeo, who successfully defended the Constitutional rights of a Wayne Hage and his family. The Federal government wanted the water rights of the ranch, but could not seize them as long as the family had a use in their cattle operation. The Federal government simply started rustling the cattle and selling them in town, with the intent of eliminating the Hage need for their water rights. That's when Sheriff DeMeo stepped in. Sheriff DeMeo discusses the Hage case on YouTube and there are numerous articles involving this case and many, many others.

I never understood or appreciated the importance of the office of Sheriff until I read the Sheriff Mack's book. It was an easy read and a real eye-opener. I would encourage anyone to read that book, visit the http://cspoa.org/ website and see some of the videos on YouTube.

Perhaps we've got off on the wrong foot. I resented what sounded like the remarks of an avowed Statist, saying the constitution doesn't matter, calling an office I've come to admire a mythical relic of a Hobbit world. To me, it does matter if ANY elected official is a "constitutionalist".

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've read about the Hage case. From my understanding, it predated DeMeo and was ultimately resolved in a court of law. DeMeo certainly my have helped prevent anymore confiscations while the case was working through the courts but since it appears BLM didn't actually try once legal action was underway, we will never know if either side was bluffing.

Nevada is a touchy subject...so much blending of public land and private use. I don't envy him having to work through that mess. That being said, I don't see much parallel between DeMeo in Nevada, dealing with private use of federal land, and Oklahoma.

How do you see an Oklahoma sheriff "standing up to the feds"?

flybeech

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How do you see an Oklahoma sheriff "standing up to the feds"?

I don't know.

If a tyranny armed with equipment that is only legal for the central government to keep and bear, has ordered house to house searches and confiscations, a county Sheriff with deputized citizens won't stop tanks, missiles, drones, bombs and all the other things the central government can bring to the fight. I guess it comes down to the question of when do the people fully submit to tyranny. Is it better to die on your feet than live on your knees?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know.

Which goes back to my original point. If you don't know, or can't express, how a county sheriff in Oklahoma could be effective in fighting back against the Feds, or what authority he has to do so, then why is it so important to live in a county with a so-called "Constitutional Sheriff"?

I'd be just as, if not more, concerned about the positions of the County Commisioners, the DA, and the district judges.

Drebin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
1. county Sheriff with deputized citizens won't stop tanks, missiles, drones, bombs and all the other things the central government can bring to the fight.

2. Is it better to die on your feet than live on your knees?

1. I think you underestimate the power of guerrilla warfare, especially when we have many people operating on the inside from pilots to Marines to submariners. If enough got on board it could be over in a few weeks with relatively low casulties among the good guys. Afterwards we would have to make sure the government never has the chance to destroy the constitution again.

2. Is that even a question? For me anyway, there is no choice, I will die on my feet.

I hope the terrorists can be stopped before anything like this needs to happen.

jdagreek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think the issue is what the county sheriffs will do as it is an issue of what "YOU" will do when they come to get your guns.

I keep asking my gun rights friends this question. "If, they take your guns, what do you have left that they can't take from you?"

So, far no one has come up with a good answer. Are any of you aware of the huge land grab that is going on in this country? We have some very wealthy citizens that are buying land in huge quantities. Literally millions of acres have been bought up in the last 10 - 15 years. Some of these folks have holdings in the millions of acres. I have some friends that are in love with the Nature Conservancy. They don't realize the conduit the NC has been in funneling land into ownership by the federal government. You don't have to take my word, just do a little google research and you will see it. Plus, the NC gets a huge amount of dollars from the federal government.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which goes back to my original point. If you don't know, or can't express, how a county sheriff in Oklahoma could be effective in fighting back against the Feds, or what authority he has to do so, then why is it so important to live in a county with a so-called "Constitutional Sheriff"?

I'd be just as, if not more, concerned about the positions of the County Commisioners, the DA, and the district judges.

I've got an idea of how they can be effective in fighting back. They can refuse to enforce un-Constitutional laws. Street cops are the 1st line of defense of the people's Constitutional rights. If they choose to ignore the law, then the law loses it's teeth. Sure, they can lose federal funding, but if money can persuade someone to break the oath they took, I don't see how MORE money couldn't sway their opinion the other way. Hell, it worked during prohibition, I don't see why it wouldn't work now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom