Which Watch are you wearing today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I were to ever buy a Rolex, an Explorer II would definitely be it. Congrats!

I've thought about picking up an Ocean 39 Vintage GMT homage of a 1655, but I haven't been able to bring myself to buy a Steinhart. I do kinda like the Christopher Ward C63 GMT though...

View attachment 358795
Funny thing, I have been looking at that watch, thinking I might just get it instead. Then work has been busy and I for got about it. Then I got a call

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny thing, I have been looking at that watch, thinking I might just get it instead. Then work has been busy and I for got about it. Then I got a call

I'm glad to see that CW has switched to the twin flags logo. It makes their watches much more appealing looking. I think that their Sandhurst Series II may be a better Explorer alternative than Tudor's Ranger. It has all the features that the Ranger does, a better bracelet (T fit adjustment and integrated QD springbars), and a COSC certified movement that is easier to service than the Ranger since it's a Sellita and not an in-house caliber. Plus, it's nearly 1/3rd the price of the Tudor.

LLBvpPH.jpg

dikAogS.jpg

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, thanks.

There's always the 41mm Datejust, Oyster Perpetual, and Submariner if 39mm is too small.

If a Rolex is on the bucket list, you can always try out a couple different Steinhart models and see how you like the case sizes before dropping money on the real thing. Steinhart specializes in Rolex homages, but their watches are pretty decent quality in their own right.

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/
Aside from the terrible magnification on the cyclops, I think that Steinhart did a pretty bang up job on their Ocean 39 Vintage GMT that I mentioned earlier. I'm not generally a fan of blatant copies, but the 1655 is an iconic watch that most people won't have the means or opportunity to purchase, so I'm a little more willing to give it a pass. They also make the 1655 homage in a 42mm for you bigger wristed guys.

5qwfpj8t7v571.jpg

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The new Explorer IIs are 42mm. The older ones were 40mm.

Anything below 40 looks like crap on my wrist, and including the Rolex Daytona, which is a 40 but wears small. So that's crossed off my bucket list. I find that most of them outside of the DJ, and Explorer IIs wear smaller, but that's just me.

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The new Explorer IIs are 42mm. The older ones were 40mm.

Anything below 40 looks like crap on my wrist, and including the Rolex Daytona, which is a 40 but wears small. So that's crossed off my bucket list. I find that most of them outside of the DJ, and Explorer IIs wear smaller, but that's just me.

Thanks for the correction on the size. I've been under the impression that they were 39mm, which is why I thought they wore larger. Guess I was thinking of the prior case size on the Explorer. It does look like it wears more like a 40mm or 41mm like I mentioned before. Sorry about giving you bad info @Glock 'em down.

Last edited:

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the correction on the size. I've been under the impression that they were 39mm, which is why I thought they wore larger. Guess I was thinking of the prior case size on the Explorer. It does look like it wears more like a 40mm or 41mm like I mentioned before. Sorry about giving you bad info @Glock 'em down.

Nah, no problemo. It's not like I was gonna buy one anyway. I doubt that I'll ever be able to afford one. :cry3:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

You must send everyone here a Nato strap for your transgressions....

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Right on cue. I just ordered three more Erika's Originals MN straps to use with the Ranger...Havana (dark brown), Sahara (khaki tan), and Burgundy straps. All have sand colored center lines and stitching, which should match the vintage cream colored hands and indices on the watch. I'm most excited about the burgundy strap like the one in the photos below. It looks like it will match the dark red color on the second hand of the Ranger well. I'm still waiting on someone here to give an Erika's MN strap a try. These will be my 11th, 12th, and 13th straps from her.

View attachment 358583

View attachment 358584

I'm going to try one, just not sure which watch.

Latest posts

Top Bottom