Who are some famous Semi Auto Instructors like Jeff Cooper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I attend a Monday morning retired guy shoot at our range on occasion. One of the principals has been through Paul's training session.
He has some good techniques, and I've incorporated them along with other tidbits of training from the other guys.

Some of his methods and teachings might be considered archaic by some, but by God - they work!

Quite honestly I think that Paul was probably on the same level as Cooper. Back in the day if a civilian wanted the best training Paul and Jeff Cooper was all there was to get it.

O/P shooting technology and techniques are just like automotive stuff. Automotive advances come largely from racing. Today it's the same with guns and shooting and some of the most influential contributors are folks you've never heard of in the IPSC and USPSA crowd. I personally know a 3gun Nation guy that trains SWAT officers in shooting on a regular basis. Actually quite of few of the top tier competition guys do this, but none of them have written books and all have "real jobs" to pay the bills.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Quite honestly I think that Paul was probably on the same level as Cooper. Back in the day if a civilian wanted the best training Paul and Jeff Cooper was all there was to get it.

O/P shooting technology and techniques are just like automotive stuff. Automotive advances come largely from racing. Today it's the same with guns and shooting and some of the most influential contributors are folks you've never heard of in the IPSC and USPSA crowd. I personally know a 3gun Nation guy that trains SWAT officers in shooting on a regular basis. Actually quite of few of the top tier competition guys do this, but none of them have written books and all have "real jobs" to pay the bills.

Shadowrider is spot on, but in IPSC and USPSA the targets don't shoot back.

I'm not sure about the colonel. I mean, I know he is the 1911 "guru" and with a great deal of respect to the man (God rest his soul) I don't know a lot about his shooting career as a civilian. Does anybody? :ugh2: Sure, he knew a 1911 inside and out and he knew proper presentation and how to do this and do that, but other than his time in the military, how many armed encounters was he really involved in? :anyone:

However, I DO know what Paul Abel has endured as Pottawattomie County sheriff and the armed encounters he has faced during that time. Some of his stories may be a little embellished, I don't know, but the man has been there and done that.

Call me crazy, but I feel like I could learn more from a guy who has been involved in actual shootings and lived to learn from his mistakes as well as his accomplishments and still lived to teach others the art of modern day gun fighting.

Again...not to disrespect colonel Cooper, but I think all of his armed encounters were under the color of war during his career in the Marine Corps and not in a civilian environment. And please...if I am wrong about this, somebody please show me where.

The bottom line is this. Like rule number 7 says...In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe that Col. Cooper. Spent some time in South America after his time in the Marine's. Doing things that seem to involve packing heat. So I have been told. By people that went to Gunsite. I took a one day class with Mr. Abel. During a Police Qualification. I learned some stuff. He had a friend with him. That was hobbling around with a walking stick. Now that guy kind of scared me. Don't think I would want to piss either of them off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom