Who Else Heats with a Wood Stove?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rimfire63

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've been using wood as a primary heat source for several years now. Not having to worry about heat if the power goes out is a big comfort but we burn wood mainly because we love it. Cutting, hauling,splitting & stacking the wood is great exercise as well. Only drawback (if you want to call it that) is you have to have a place to get rid of all that ash and it really adds to the dust in the house. But we don't mind.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it's burning hot enough, you shouldn't have much ash buildup. If you're running efficiently (stove doors closed), dust shouldn't be an issue. Ash can be dumped in the yard.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
1/4 rick of wood (~1 week of burning) distilled into 1.5 gallons of ash.

20150227_170356.jpg

RiseArmament

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got generators to keep us going in the event of a short power outage, say up to a couple of weeks before my fuel runs out, but I'm looking at adding a 200 watt solar aray with some deep cycle batteries for the small stuff. I made a propane conversion for one of my generators using a commercial demand regulator and it works pretty well. I could couple it to my 250 gallon propane tank and last quite a while on that. I'm still looking at pellet stove inserts with the idea that I could burn field corn if needed.

Just stay warm my friend.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thad video is a must watch.. those girls will be somebody's one day..

I burned a bunch of pine and fir last year to heat the house.
This was 2x4 to 2x10's cut up.. almost zero ashes and tons of heat and a clean fireplace.
But it does not last long..
That is fine as it is free if you search and i think i will get about 2 or 3 18 foot trailers full for this winter.
Sure like it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom