Whole Home Lightening Arrestor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFralish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
House took either a direct hit or a nearby downline hit Monday. Took out alarm system (repaired), furnace (repaired), surround sound system, brand new HP printer and expensive baby monitor system. All of the above were not connected to protected circuits i.e. GFI protected nor surge suppressor. Wife was holding on to stainless fridge and also got blasted (she's OK). So, I still have to spend some money, but all in all, I'm feeling pretty lucky, could have lost a lot more. Anyway, I recall reading a thread on here once concerning whole home suppressors. Does anyone have any info concerning quality and installed cost?

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Take a look under Amateur Radio Lightning protection for the most reliable information for ways of grounding lightning strikes. There is a retired Navy engineer that professes to have a way for connecting multiple ground rod systems so that protect your whole house area which can ramp up several million volts together (hot and ground) and survive. It seems too complex to me for the risk taken.
Some of us have a 50 ft lightning rod antenna tower just outside our window, and ground as much as we can. I unhook everything connected to it when I suspect a storm. I have had flash burn marks off of antenna connector cables after a storm.

A lot of things can be done to help to prevent some power line/telephone strikes with surge protection devices if the strike is far enough off that the voltage gets down to a manageable level, but they are limited to how much voltage they can shunt and how quickly they can do it. A close hit of 200,000 million volts and the EMF generated is hard to manage. The circle coil of your wristwatch band can burn you 30 ft away.
Un-pluging all you can and staying away from metal objects during a storm sounds like BS, but it really works if a strike is close. Some suppression equipment will help, nothing will stop all of it. Keep researching and good luck to you. Glad everyone is ok. Just an opinion from an ex-electrician and ham radio operator.

DFralish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take a look under Amateur Radio Lightning protection for the most reliable information for ways of grounding lightning strikes. There is a retired Navy engineer that professes to have a way for connecting multiple ground rod systems so that protect your whole house area which can ramp up several million volts together (hot and ground) and survive. It seems too complex to me for the risk taken.
Some of us have a 50 ft lightning rod antenna tower just outside our window, and ground as much as we can. I unhook everything connected to it when I suspect a storm. I have had flash burn marks off of antenna connector cables after a storm.

A lot of things can be done to help to prevent some power line/telephone strikes with surge protection devices if the strike is far enough off that the voltage gets down to a manageable level, but they are limited to how much voltage they can shunt and how quickly they can do it. A close hit of 200,000 million volts and the EMF generated is hard to manage. The circle coil of your wristwatch band can burn you 30 ft away.
Un-pluging all you can and staying away from metal objects during a storm sounds like BS, but it really works if a strike is close. Some suppression equipment will help, nothing will stop all of it. Keep researching and good luck to you. Glad everyone is ok. Just an opinion from an ex-electrician and ham radio operator.

Great info. Thank you. I know you can't control/fully suppress a close/direct hit. I do have some electric/electronic background, but don't like to deal with residential.

Latest posts

Top Bottom